Poll: Bringing back Mental Institutions?

No. Hell no. It will marginalise and make things worse for most. It will also cost a heck of a lot more so who is footing that bill? You can’t have an already poor subset of people ( lots of mentally ill people don’t or have compromised work and thus earnings ) having to pay more than they already do for treatment that is unnecessary. We already have forensic wards for the violent/crime people.

It’s a campaign to deflect the real problems with other issues namely gun control and you shouldn’t buy into that rubbish. Community inclusion works and works way better than institutions.

15 Likes

This is already happening in my country and most of the time the patients are either fed very basic diets or suffer from abuse.

Also most shooters don’t have mental illnesses (other than personality disorders) so this won’t solve the actual problem. Stats show that only 10% of mass shooters were mentally ill. If we don’t ban guns ■■■■ is just going to happen.

4 Likes

They are no shootings in Europe, Australia or Asia and these countries have mentally ill people as well. How is that to happen?

4 Likes

They don’t have easy access to guns like we do. They don’t have the same vicious circle society we do where we live in a violent society where guns make it even more violent than it already is.

4 Likes

I think America should do a referdum about guns and decide what kind of life they choose for their future generations.

3 Likes

Lets not stray from the topic here. It’s hard because this is a particularly political issue but op’s question is whether you agree or not. Lets not let it devolve into the mire of gun control.

3 Likes

People used to get committed to those places for very minor things, and once you went in, you had little hope of much of anything

Don’t think it’s helpful to romanticise about a system that was just plain awful

Go on YouTube and watch about them

We would be taking many steps backwards if they brought these back

I can’t even believe this needs saying

8 Likes

There are no shootings in Belgium. But for psychiatric patients who do crime there are forensic psychiatric wards. They tend to be very long term so I hope I never commit a crime and end up in one. Would hate that.

3 Likes

31 Asylum Pictures Show How Insane People Were Treated In History - Atchuup! - Cool Stories Daily(Watch out, scary pics of asylum).

No.

I already despair when I have to be in a ward a few weeks. I hate it. I hate to be locked up and I hate the fact that other people decide over every little detail of my life, no matter how modern their facilities look. It is emotionally unhealthy. I would rather be begging on the streets than in an asylum.

6 Likes

Omg, i cover more than half of the list. I should be locked up and restraint for life :sleepy: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I must say, based on how modern hospitals are it’s difficult to say what these conditions would look like in an institution. Speaking from experience I was in a hospital with inpatient level care for 18 months. Now I know this is absolutely nothing compared to how long some people would be staying at these places but it was the best experience I’ve ever had in a hospital. There was a fenced in courtyard that we were allowed to go out into to play basketball or sit in the grass and the sun. And we were even allowed to walk around the grounds if we were on a high enough privilege level. I used to play disc golf outside with my clinician even. I don’t think the conditions at an institution would be as good as that sadly. But I think that depending on what it would look like there I don’t inherently think it’s a bad idea. This also all depends on reasoning for being admitted in the first place.

3 Likes

However the reasoning behind this whole thing is based on political gain. I think a better solution would be better inpatient care to begin with. I personally think that inpatient care as it is is already starting to feel outdated. There are already facilities to house the mentally ill who commit serious crimes. I cannot think of another reasoning that would justify locking someone away for the rest of their life. I should have thought about this a little more before I posted my first response because I just completely changed my mind. It’s unnecessary and I cannot help but see this system being abused by both staff, government, and criminals

3 Likes

Okay. I’ll vote in favor of the mental institutions if they look like holiday resorts.

3 Likes

You do realise the issue with mass shootings isnt gonna be magically solved by locking people away inhumanely? What is going to change by making even more degrading conditions for the mentally ill to live in? How is it going to stop gun crimes?

The only way to stop people using guns to slaughter innocents is to put limitations on guns. There is no other way. Most countries dont have regular mass shootings. Its an American problem due to American gun laws.

Many of the mass shootings I know the deal of weren’t someone who was treated poorly by an insinuation or let go early. They were psychopaths or people who thought killing others would prove something to the world. They did it for notoriety, fame and out of desperation.
How will asylums pick up these individuals and be notified of their terrible thoughts and action plans? They aren’t being seen by MH services to begin with.

I feel like this is some knee jerk reaction you’ve had from watching a news show (or something) that has said “oh mass killing happens because of people with MH issues” when actually when you look at a case by case basis I don’t think that is what is happening.

On a separate note : it surprises me that many of you who clearly have MH issues(else you wouldn’t be here), and possibly would’ve been locked away in an asylum 70 years ago - are totally fine to do that to others. Have some compassion.

4 Likes

That depends very much on there being adequate funding for mental health services. Despite repeated statements talking about improving things very little actually changes.

In the UK those who are very well most of the time and are acutely ill the rest of the time are given priority over those who function less well than them most of them. Those who function less well most of the time being those who’ve gone past the acute phase of their illness, and are chronically disabled.

3 Likes

Well said.

2 Likes

I agree that lack of gun control is the main issue and that the majority of these mass shooters are dealing with severe personality disorders and not necessarily living with a severe mental illness like schizophrenia or bipolar.

With that said I feel that long term asylums is a good place to keep those severely mi patients in a safe place instead of letting them rot in our prison system.

1 Like

I dunno, it all seems to have a similar flavor to that of industrial prison complexes.

That’s gonna be a “no” from me, dawg.

5 Likes

No. They’ll just start locking all mentally I’ll people up even if they’re not violent. It will degrade into abuse. They already treat us very badly in hospital wards. I can’t imagine how mean they’d be in a place where people have no rights

6 Likes

I voted no. People who commit crimes because of psychosis have to go to prison like anyone else. Their mental illness should be treated though.

4 Likes