Poll: Bringing back Mental Institutions?

No way.

Asylums were notorious for abuse of patients.

No effen way.

Imagine a kid diagnosed and sent in for life.

3 Likes

Honestly it doesn’t matter where we put the mentally ill if it’s not properly funded. The statistics on mentally ill populations who end up in prisons or homeless in the U.S. is mindboggling. If the mental institutions were properly funded with trained staff and no overcrowding they could be great.

After the institutions were shut down they had an idea to have more resources dedicated to group homes and nursing facilities. The funding and training for the staff never came. This is one of the biggest reasons the streets and prisons are now the direction mentally ill people who can’t integrate with the rest of society head towards.

Unfortunately any solution requires money that the government wont allocate towards the severely mentally ill.

3 Likes

They’re using our jails and prisons as mental health asylums now. Those are no places a mentally ill person needs to be. Mental institutions are far better than jails. I have experience in both.

2 Likes

I agree that there are crimes a mentally ill person should go to jail for. Maybe they could have a special cell block in which to house the mentally ill. And when they are judging someone who is mentally ill they need to keep in mind the role of intent in judging crime. Some mentally ill people might not be capable of forming intent in their behavior. We don’t want to lock them up with the felons, because it is guaranteed that they will be much worse when they leave the prison. The mentally ill do not need a country club, but they should sequester the mentally ill from the rest of the prisoners.

2 Likes

Asylums were built for psychotic people to lock them up for life. Because there were no meds, they tried to cure psychosis through experiments. That meant using all kinds of torture (Ice baths, electroshocks, lobotomy, pain etc). It was basically a prison were people were put to be forgotten. Many lived their whole lives there.

I don’t know how it is in the US. But in Sweden we have facilities (forensic psychiatric care) for dangerous mentally ill criminals.

Sadly they don’t always keep their criminals in check. One was granted leave recently and he quit taking his meds (like he always did during leave). He stabbed a small boy and his mother to death while being psychotic. He had a history of violence.

2 Likes

We have mental asylum here in lithuania, its like a hospital but long term. I think asylums should be brought back

2 Likes

I enjoyed your response. Rock on ma’am!

3 Likes

My group home isn’t too far removed from a benign mental institution or psych ward or at least it was during the pandemic. We can be picked up by our relatives now , and there is some freedom of movement on the nearby bus. But it would be a shame for a higher functioning schizophrenic who can hold down a job to end up here. I support taking dangerous people to asylums. I don’t support taking a person to one just because they are diagnosed schizophrenia however. Sometimes the lines blur as people who can function well on certain meds are dangerous or incompetent without them.

2 Likes

I don’t think I trust human beings to not be abusive/neglectful. The psych ward was already horrible enough.

3 Likes

Like turkeys voting for xmas!

Just think in an institution you’ll be allowed 15 minutes supervised internet time a week to back such a stupid idea… :wink:

4 Likes

I voted no even though I think there should be a place for severely mentally ill people. That place would have to be vastly different than asylums of the past however. So much so that I don’t think you could even call it an asylum. Which is why I voted no.

It’d be nice to see more assisted living options for the mentally ill.

2 Likes

transitional housing? peer support? non hospital level options.

anything hut institutions. everyone was there against their will. theres no freedom in it. ive been committed i know.

3 Likes

The nurses and carers in hospitals can be completely abusive and degrading to people

2 Likes

Oh yes I know
I’ve been abused by hospital staff several times

1 Like

Im sorry to hear that @Wave you don’t deserve that, nobody does x

2 Likes

Thanks @anon85745701

2 Likes

Arent asylums just like mental health group hostels…i want these institutions back

3 Likes

Not at all, you should read up on the history of them and how the patients were treated in them

3 Likes

I wonder if rather than bringing back institutions in America what if there was an insurance overhaul as well but of course no citizen wants to pay more in taxes than they have to.

My point is do away with for profit hospitals and make mental healthcare affordable.

My two cents! But I vote no to the institutions. Too many horror stories from the past that would no doubt be repeated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.