Poll: Bringing back Mental Institutions?

Many politicians including Trump feels that the United States should bring back Mental Institutions or Asylums.
Too many severely Ill patients end up in our jails and prisons.
They feel that bringing back the institution’s would be a good solution especially in light of all these mass shootings.

What do you guys think?

Bring back these Asylums?

• Yes bring Asylums back
  • No don’t bring them back

0 voters

2 Likes

I voted yes only if they are modern facilities, and free as much as possible from abuse and neglect.
A safe place of refuge for the severely mentally ill.
But it could be wishful thinking.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think it would depend a great deal on the nature of the Institutions. I’m not sure if I’m going to vote

4 Likes

I said yes but I wouldn’t want to be in one. So I don’t know.

3 Likes

It’s hard to say, but I feel long term institutions are light years of a better idea than sticking the mi in jails or prisons. Something definitely needs to be done.

3 Likes

in the sixties I heard that our state hospital had a vast garden and housing for the mentally ill…I would vote for something like that.

3 Likes

We do have a state run mental hospital but I certainly wouldn’t want to go there.

2 Likes

I think mentally training colleges would be better where a patient is court-ordered to get an education and his or her disorder on a college campus like area

5 Likes

Yeah we have a state run asylum near us that has a Olympic sized swimming pool and offers housing on the premises.
But I wouldn’t want to go there.

2 Likes

I’d like to talk to you a little about asylums I made decisions they make over you run by physicians and doctors Who police you back in the late 80s I visited such places and I have the an opportunity tunist court order to 1 for two years during the time of my stay I was locked in a room for a week just to see how I would react after a week of observation they allowed me to go on the floor I was sleeping in a room of 30 people and had classes to attend to during the day on the weekends they would have a concert in the recreation room that’s when I found the dirty secrets bad boys were making chemicals gays were making relationships the hardest kind of schizophrenic suffered by trauma from the older medicines some of them physically injured so please don’t ask me to vote Yes

2 Likes

I totally understand @DrZen
The older Asylums were hell holes.

I vote for modern hospitals that offer safe havens for the severely mentally ill.

The prison system is no place for the severely mentally ill.

4 Likes

6 Likes

I voted no. I am OK with psych hospitals, whose goal is to get you well and get you out as soon as possible. But an assylum aims to keep you for a long time… I think. And I wouldn’t want to be trapped in an assylum for years.

4 Likes

Yeah, but do you put mentally ill, non-criminals, in with severely ill, possibly violent criminals?

3 Likes

Yeah maybe they could separate them by floor
Different wings?

But I see your point @77nick77

Or have hospitals just for criminals and other hospitals just for non criminals who are severely mentally ill

2 Likes

I voted no. I trust in more social worker and more mental health carers visiting homes and give support. Its cheaper and more efficient in the long run. I mean,
how many asylum and mental institutions do you need ?
It will get out of hand similar to the prison crisis.

4 Likes

But how about the mi who commit crimes because of psychosis?

They get thrown in prison, some spending decades behind bars with no effective treatments given to them.

2 Likes

They are already institutions for the criminal insane.

4 Likes

Many are still stuck in prison though

1 Like

Knowing there’s no place to run to, no place to hide, keeps me from giving in.

2 Likes