Pink Floyd trivia I just learned

Everyone knows that most of the Pink Floyd album Wish You Were Here was based on Syd Barret who was a founding member of Pink Floyd who had to leave the band due to a mental illness. It was often said he suffered from schizophrenia but he was never officially diagnosed.

I just learned something from a website I’ve never seen or heard anywhere else.
Syd Brret’s name is referenced in the title of Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Look at the name Syd and look at the first letters of the song title. It’s not a perfect match but his name is in there. I’m very surprised that this has never been pointed out before.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a story but I think Syd was on the spectrum. He ended up living in his mum’s basement for years but there’s lots of collaboration that his flat mates were feeding him acid in his tea and stuff…he definately went downwards after the first couple of albums…

They were going to put a couple of the songs from Animals on Wish You Were here till Syd turned up at rehearsals. Changed the world because I think Wish You Were Here and it’s subtext there was totally so much better a work of art…That is my two cents!

2 Likes

Am listening to dark side right now. Themes of ‘madness’ are common on that album too

2 Likes

hmmm, interesting.
My favorite Pink Floyd song.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.