Schizophrenia.com

Phone,talk phobia?

I have speech and talking issue,but when I need to call someone and talk on the phone,I get really anxious,anyone like me?
I really prefer using text and then talk in real life

1 Like

you are not alone…

they probably feel just as anxious on the other side

1 Like

I’m of the belief that texting has ruined human beings. But you should always do what makes you most comfortable of course

3 Likes

I don’t like talking on the phone but anxious only the beginning and relax as time goes by.
It takes me a while before I dial, wondering what to say.

1 Like

I also think texting is “easy way” of communicating,talking speaking out on phone and in real life is the best way for socializing

I agree that it’s easier. So easy that people have made it the preferred form of communication. It’s ruined people. In my opinion of course.

1 Like

I tend to get anxious when calling someone too.

I got robbed at gunpoint one time when I was at my work, and it took another person asking me If I was going to call the police about it before I decided I had to make the call.
Then like an idiot, I dialed the local number instead of dialing 911-because I didn’t want the fuss over it.

There are fewer things I’d rather do than use a telephone.
Texting I’m okay with, because I don’t have to have an instant response.

3 Likes

Unless you’re also autistic in addition to SZ. I do text first, phone second, face to face last whenever possible. I like how texts are pared down and don’t have the ‘fluff’ that accompanies regular communication.

Pixel.

1 Like

This voice messaging thing Americans do… wtf is up with that. It is so weird. Just send a text, texts are way better than calling or sending voice messages. I always disable my voice message inbox so people can’t send me any when I don’t pick up the phone because I don’t want to talk. Anyway point is I don’t get why someone would send a voice message instead of calling or texting.

Calling = I need to communicate NOW
Texting = I need to communicate when you are ready
Voice messaging = ??? Too lazy to write but going to make you concentrate on my message anyway ???

4 Likes

I prefer all my communication to be in text so I can look back on it and have proof of what was said. Text/instant message/email is my go to. I will pretty much only talk on the phone if it’s a last resort. I hate it. It makes me paranoid.

1 Like

I also have phone phobia, I try to avoid making calls unless I know exactly what I need to say. I much prefer texting and emails! Even face to face is easier than phoning, I just hate phoning!

1 Like

I hate using the phone. I really feel on the spot using the phone. I try to avoid it.

I don’t text either.

Your not alone with the phone thing. When ever the phone rings I always think it’s bad news… and I try to avoid it.

1 Like

I HATE talking on the phone. If there’s the slightest silence I feel panicked and try to get off the phone. I have trouble thinking of what to say. Whereas texting is no pressure, very easy…

wow…a lot of stuff has happened to you :heart:
hamster :hamster: hug and a :rainbow: :sunny:
take care :alien:

2 Likes

I don’t know when it’s my turn to speak on the phone, i avoid calls, and I go into places to make appointments instead of calling them.

1 Like

I think you have social anxiety perhaps, @Gtx1990 .

I get frustrated when people don’t text back when I am making plans, then I call them. Two of my friends take a full day to respond to texts, so I call them. The others text normally. Texting is cool because you can just convey a quick message like “workout at 4 tomorrow?” And then a response within a few hours if not a matter of minutes.

But when it’s like “hey we need to all find somewhere to go hangout and friend Z didn’t text back, but friends X and Y did, have you heard from friend Z? And have you heard from friends X and Y as well?” Then that’s a voice call

1 Like

That’s not too bad

it’s anxiety filled :scream: would rather miss important things than talk on the phone even to mom. thanks. take care! :cactus:

1 Like

I say it because i’m ashamed of it, I really go out of my way to not talk on the phone, i never pick it up :flushed: wish it wasn’t so stressful to do immersion strategies. the distractions too. The conversation is usually no good :smirk:

1 Like