Paranoid today - is it part of sz?

Today I had a weird experience of paranoia. I was in mosque in the ladies section upstairs and there was this elderly lady who out of the blue gave me a lecture CD. Then my mind recalled a time when I read on a forwarded whatsapp message about CD’s placed on Muslim people’s doorsteps that were poisoned. So here I was my mind working overtime. Thinking suspicious thoughts that maybe this lady is working with crooks handing out poisoned CD’s.

Then to top it all i started thinking has she got a bomb under her jacket? Oh God I was so crazy. I couldn’t concentrate on my prayers. I sneaked the CD back on to her pile of cds. What the hell is wrong with me? Is this sz?

I didn’t want to tell my husband but I did. He wasnt so happy about it, said my inclination to fear may lead to divorce. Then I said I have paranoid sz and paranoid fears are part of it then he understood to my relief.

Question is - is being scared and suspicious of things and others part of sz?

1 Like

Of course, i get suspicious thinking all the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, unusual thought associations like yours today are a part of schizophrenia. They can fuel the paranoia pretty quickly. It’s good that you have insight over what happened. You should interact with people more… If the problem persists, then maybe you need a med increase… or some therapy.

2 Likes

Yeah Saadiqah, it is part of the illness. I’m glad you have a supportive husband who is as patient and understanding as he can be in these kinds of situations. Seldom do ordinary people have those kinds of ideas about people’s intentions except in very rare circumstances. From what you described it wasn’t something to be suspicious of or anything. Those thoughts rise but they shouldn’t reign over you. If you get those ideas again the best thing is not to entertain it any longer than is necessary.

2 Likes