Overthinking

I think this is one of my biggest problems

I think and think and think, often times going round in useless worry circles.

I need to just find the balance and know to let go of that thinking pattern. Repeat to myself, let go let go let go… As it is not helpful, not healthy

How do you deal with Overthinking?

6 Likes

I just try to keep busy so I don’t sit around and think too much. I do the same thing in my downtime though!

3 Likes

I’m pretty much the same as @anon97859349 , I just keep my mind busy so I don’t over worry about things.

I’m usually listening to my little radio or watching a movie.

2 Likes

I used a program called “attacking anxiety” in my 20’s and one of the techniques they suggested, if I remember correctly, was to catch yourself in these negative thoughts and stop them and try thinking about some more positive thoughts. You would have to get in the habit of being aware of what you are thinking and actively monitoring and changing your thought processes to get this to work. It’s work to do this, I know.

1 Like

I’m always overthinking.

I hate it.

:zap:

1 Like

I have the same problem. I am an overthinker and worrier. I have not been able to break out of this pattern. It is exhausting sometimes. :frowning:

1 Like

I experience this almost constantly, I’ve mentioned it before on this website. My mind is almost constantly in analytical thought mode. When I learn something new it causes me to rethink things. I don’t know how to stop it. They are not racing thoughts, or anxious thoughts or delusional thoughts. They are rational thoughts, but they happen constantly. Occasionally my mind is calm and I just take time to enjoy that when it happens.

3 Likes

I overthink and worry about everything.
It’s just the way I’m built.

2 Likes

I have struggled with this my entire life. Natural worrier. Ever since I went on the max dose of Cymbalta I stopped with the constant worrying and overthinking. I still get anxious about certain things from time to time but it’s not the constant chewing.

2 Likes

Overthinking makes me eat, and eat, and eat. :sunglasses:

1 Like

If I sit still my thoughts spin out and divide and branch into separate lines of thought then I “snap back” to reality and whoa it’s 20 mins later

3 Likes

Thanks Bowens :slight_smile: that was interesting.

1 Like

Lifelong overthinker too. I think it goes back to childhood trauma.

1 Like

I have lots of ways to deal with this but it remains a difficult problem for me. These work sometimes:

1. I disregard my thoughts and shift my focus to a body scan meditation, i.e. what physical sensations can I notice. I can also focus on senses, like sight, sound, touch, smell, and focus on my breathing.

2. I force my thoughts to slow down. I know that I cannot stop thinking entirely, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii caaaaaaaaaaan maaaaaaaaake myyyyyyyyyyyyy wooooooooorrrrrdds reeeeeeeeaaaaallly loooooooooong. Usually my brain gives up bothering me after 5 minutes of being trolled this way.

3. I have a mantra “everything important is known”. It reminds me that I survived this long without needing to know whatever is bothering me. And that if whatever is bothering me is truly important, then I will remember it tomorrow. So I don’t need to obsess about it. If tomorrow comes and I forget it, then it wasn’t important. This sometimes brings me relief from worries and obsessions.

4. If I am really struggling then I’ll ask my other personalities / voices to help me. In other words, I wilfully dissociate / depersonalise. This isn’t a recommended solution, because it comes with an anxiety hangover.

5. Self-punishment can work. There is a punishment zone in the brain, that shuts down dopamine, and this reduces neurotransmitters, which inhibits overthinking. The tricky bit is to do this in a safe way, and not self-harm. I save this one for real emergencies. I use a tiny pin, and just prick my leg very lightly, not penetrating the skin. Beware though because it is addictive.

1 Like

I have the opposite.
No thoughts

1 Like

Maybe you could find someone who can give you guided meditation or mindfulness. They are techniques. Usually work or doing something you don’t like doing brings you back in the here and now. Making bread was the ideal job for me as I overthink too.

1 Like

You think so?? 22

1 Like

My advice is to get it out of your head.

Do some arts like drawing or music.
Do some writing/journaling where you go over your issues and just get it out onto a page.
Sometimes just sharing with other people can help if you have people you trust who are supportive.

Can also try meditation to calm the mind.

1 Like

I wish I could attain the zen “no mind”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.