Online school woes and triumphs

Hey, since Starlet and I are both in online school now, I figured I would start this thread. Do you take online classes? Are you managing a child who takes online classes? What works for you, and what doesn’t?

We had to buy a new router that allows us to turn the internet off to specific devices, so we can turn off his phone and Switch, but leave his school computer connected. It was expensive, but well worth it.

2 Likes

I had an online psychology class in 2018 summer, I liked it, got 99% A+.

2 Likes

My philosophy class starts the 21st. I learned last week that we will be having two zoom meetings per week. UGH.

3 Likes

Zoom classes are not as good as in person. I always forget when my mic is muted, and then get frustrated when no one acknowledges my question.

2 Likes

Labs can’t be done online, how do they do labs during lockdown?

I agree. I attended college in person for years but now online classes suit me better.

3 Likes

I’m in Calculus, so there are no labs. Starlet is in science class, and he goes to school part time to do in person instruction.

3 Likes

I don’t have kids but my sis has 3.

A second grader she has, has been “left behind” at home watching his two siblings ‘go off to work everyday”.

All I have on this is that I got a video of him doing gym class remote and he was ecstatic doing that.

1 Like

Just to clarify, the zoom meetings are not the whole class, they are just part of it, in addition to the online class.

1 Like

I know right. I think I would benefit from online zoom classes than in person classes at community college. I need like 1-2 classes for an AS-T in math (technically 1, I think in python programming or less depending on the school - maybe even zero…), but I want to take calculus based physics for the pleasure. I enjoy learning in general.

Anyways, I don’t want to have to drive 45 min each way. the problem is the labs but I guess I can figure that out or take pictures or do it on my own time some day. I’m slow. I’m hoping online sticks and catches on and stays this way.

Parking is a ■■■■■/impossible and is harder for me because of my disability to go in person. I don’t dress or shower and I rather just sit in my room and get my B or A.

I need to take motion and then mechanics. then maybe some fun classes in computer science and some harder physics like EM. Maybe some chemistry too for back up. It’s a useful skill. Maybe biology too.

2 Likes

I took a US History class online through my local community college. I did well actually and really enjoyed it. Got a 96%.

Good luck guys, you got this!

2 Likes

Hello,
I wanted to know what you were doing…
Did you register for distance learning? Does that lead to a college degree?

Thanks

1 Like

I am studying neuroscience. I’m currently taking remote classes from my community college because it is cheaper than enrolling in the private university. By the time I am done with community college classes, I will only need 6 more classes.

3 Likes

Ok thank you :slight_smile: !

Here I can still enroll in public college, I think it must be similar to community college.
Private university are mostly very expensive too, but they are not the same types of degrees actually.

The only problem is that remote learning in some colleges is poorly organized.
It depends on the college.

I would like to register for a sociology college next year.

3 Likes

I got my MBA online. I wrote a lot of papers. This was from 2002 to 2004 and I lived in Japan so there was no school I could go to. It was convenient. I wasn’t sick yet. I had no problems. Other than writing papers and studying hyperlinks we hat to participate in threaded discussions. Much like this site.

1 Like

My minor was in sociology. It was really interesting.

1 Like

Everything collapsed this semester. I had to take a break until winter semester. Super sad about it, but it ks what it is.

1 Like

All classes are online this semester… for 2 classes I have virtual classes… philosophy and English… we use zoom and teams… and I feel like the course load is somehow more than it would be if we had actual classes… like philosophy I have like 4 things due this weekend. And a quiz due tomorrow…

1 Like

I finished a BSc (Hons) in Health Sciences from the Open University (distance learning) and am going to start with a MSc in Mental Health Science in a couple of months.

5 Likes

I am currently learning Python on my own through some books and online tutorials, but I plan to get certifications in Data Science through Coursera once I get the technical foundations down. I also plan to get more statistics classes and further down the line machine learning and artificial intelligence.

Learning from home can be a blessing or a challenge, depending on how focused and motivated you are.

2 Likes