Schizophrenia.com

One Wild Ride

Last night was hard. I’ve been coming down on Seroquel and have been having a hard time. The nurse at pdoc’s office suggested going to the last dose I was on before I decreased it again, which is 400mg. I took it last night and wow was that a ride. I was terrified I was going to die. I kept getting these two second glitches where I am completely delusional. I was seeing visions. I was terrified I was going to kill my mom. My mom held me and kept telling me I was safe. All I wanted to do was pace and hold my head, which comforts me for some reason. I kept pleading with my mom that I would be good because I felt like I was being punished for some sin. I’m thinking of asking the pharmacist if I can split the dose taking half in the morning and half at night. I know my body has to get used to that dose but when it kicks in I feel like I smoked pot and am having a bad high. These meds suck! :sunny:

1 Like

I’m sorry this happened to you. Wow, that does sound horrible. It’s hard coming down to lesser doses. It’s also hard increasing doses. When I’m not doing well and my wheels are falling off, the increased dose works perfectly. But if I’m doing well and take too much, it feels really different and no in a good way.

I can tell I took too much. I’m glad your Mom was there to help you. I hope you feel better today and have a chance to rest.

2 Likes

Sorry you had a rough time. I’d guess your experience was more the result of lowering the dosage than going back to 400mg. Four hundred mg isn’t a very high dose and even with a high dose I doubt Seroquel would cause such side effects. (visions etc.). Seroquel can kick like a mule, making people very tired. I’ve been on it and it would sometimes knock me for a loop.

2 Likes

@SurprisedJ and @Malvok Thanks so much for your empathy. I’m doing much better today. I had really started to have a hard time with motivation, mood swings, suicidal feelings, and intense anxiety. It’s amazing how much the Seroquel was helping. After taking that dose last night, today my motivation is back to normal. It may just be in my head, but whatever. I split the dose up after talking to the pharmacist. I’m hoping 400mg of Seroquel plus the Geodon will do the trick. :sunny:

1 Like

I used to take my Seroquel in two parts, one in the morning and one at night. At the time it was difficult for me to remember taking the two doses so I eventually just took it all at once. I have severe sleep apnea and wasn’t using a machine so out of concern for being too heavily sedated during sleep I took it all in the morning.

2 Likes

Glad your doing much better, may you continue to have good days! Keep that motivation up dear, oh yeah!

Take care!

2 Likes

I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience lowering the Seroquel @SunGirl - when I was on Seroquel XR in the start, I had vivid visual hallucinations - 3D halogram like spirit like visons of faces and people floating in my room.
It went away after getting used to the medication, but it certainly made me super sedated - basically knocked me out.
Hope you feel better soon - I am in the process of trying out a new med, and frankly I am getting tired of playing the med go around game

1 Like

@Malvok I’m surprised you could take it all in the morning. I guess once your body gets used to it wouldn’t be bad. I have sleep apnea too and do use a machine but I think it needs to be adjusted. That was part of the reason I was scared. I thought I was going to stop breathing.

Thanks @YakDip !! It’s amazing how my motivation came back today. I’m feeling like my old self.

Thanks @Wave !! I think for some reason the sedation amplifies the illness. That must have been scary. I hope your new med works out. It is frustrating to play the med game. It’s a necessary evil though. Just think in twenty years we might have meds with less side effects that are more effective then Clozaril. That’s my hope at least.

Thanks for responding guys!! :sunny:

3 Likes

It was pretty bad. I was very happy when I got switched to a different medication.

1 Like