Olanzapine Reduction 10mg to 7.5mg

That must have been tricky to get the diagnosis. Was it done over a long period of time?

When there are positives, I think because they’re so pronounced they’re easier for clinicians to pin point

I know I had bad negatives for a while before I finally flipped out big time

You never had positive symptoms and was diagnosed with sz??

1 Like

I attempted a suicide 3 years ago with sleep pills… 2 years ago in rehab my psychiatrist diagnosed schizophrenia.
Reason for my suicide was failure in academics… That’s how they guessed cognitive symptoms I think… And they observed me during rehab.
Earlier they said it was bipolar disorder

I did that last year but also failed.

Sounds like things got to crisis before something was done - almost all too often the way

Hope you’re in a better place now

I like you joker… Let’s chat in private if you don’t mind.

1 Like

Yes that’s possible as well

In what country is that? Simple sz diagnosis was dropped years ago from dsm5 in north america.

Simple sz is sz without positive symptoms.

No , it’s not been dropped as my doctor is recent harvard medical School graduate… I live in India

1 Like

Thats why. DSM5 is the book used in North America which removed sz without positive symptoms. Other countries also use ICD10 which include sz without positive symptoms called simple sz. But anyways if you have no positive symptoms no need for meds as they will worsen your negative symptoms!

No medication is not what my pdoc suggests… So, I am not sure what to do…
Any articles regarding that or research papers. So,I can talk to my Pdoc about it.

1 Like

Stimulants like Strattera, Ritalin, Adderall can help but they might cause positive symptoms. Ask your Dr about them.

I am better off without positive symptoms… I am not taking stimulants for sure… Are there any research papers that suggest no need to take meds?

Well its known that meds block dopamine to treat positive symptoms which might worsen negative symptoms. I cant really find you a research paper as sz without positive symptoms doesnt exist here in North America.

I think @pr21 is in the same situation as you and he’s in India.

My pdoc isn’t going to listen unless I show him some research

1 Like

If your symptoms is pure negative and cognitive then no need to take any antipsychotic or sedation medicines as it can worsen your negative and cognitive symptoms. There is no medication for those.

Your doc pressing for medication because of your positive symptoms like previous suicide attempts He still thinks that you have some so worried about it.

I went on this exact reduction, 10mg Olanzapine to 7.5mg. I was experiencing akathisia on 10, but at 7.5 the akathisia went away. 7.5 is still enough to keep my symptoms at bay, I highly recommend it!

1 Like

Anyway since you are already taking medicines you should never stop or reduce its dose even if you have no positive symptoms as these might have sensitized your dopamine receptors and sudden stopping can give you positive symptoms and even psychosis. Taper it slowly under the supervision of your pdoc.

1 Like