Off Olanzapine for months

I was. It ruined my body in a few months. I felt bad too, a zombie indeed. Withdrawals were rough, i was suïcidal, impulsive, angry and weird.

Im dealing with psychosis with very little meds too now (haldol), forgot meds yesterday and contemplate just leaving it this way. It is a struggle at times though. I have difficult thoughts and emotions, though i do think im in reality.

What do you do to deal with symptoms?

Meds lol… 155

1 Like

Hahaha… :smile:

I meant the medfree OP… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well for me nothing worked other than meds bcz my positive symptoms are severe and I get violent and suicidal.

1 Like

Try therapy, it might help you.

1 Like

I understand…happy they work then! In some periods it is the same for me. I kind of hope to be able to live without in times it is milder though.

2 Likes

Did you ever stop your meds? I stopped for 1-2 years but it was a disaster I attacked my brother with knives.

1 Like

Meds increase my anger threshold.

1 Like

I can imagine that is scary.

There was a period i was in such terrible panic that i stopped many times cold turkey and always had severe rebound symptoms. And just would be too frightened to stay on them or even take time to withdraw. I was in irrational flight/fight mode constantly. Did some pretty stupid things too.

Eventually i withdrew incredibly slowly to my current dose, while working hard on myself. That worked a little better, though im still having lots of turmoil in my mind. I mostly manage to keep it inside though. I really dont know whether to increase or stop or what to do…what will be better.

2 Likes

Each time I stopped my meds I got rebound symptoms too - often within a week.

After my first few years of sza I got better and with pdoc’s help could come off my meds but then five years later I got ill again and been on meds ever since (been eight years back on meds)

I could never reach that level of recovery again.

I tried recently to lower my dose of amisulpride to 100mg (half minimum dose of 200mg) and in four days I had the evil spirit in my head (Alien) telling me to kill my husband and telling me I’m a murderer and trying to control me and kill my husband through me. It was so distressing that I took 300mg amisulpride for two days and fortunately Alien subsided.

There’s just no way I can stop my meds now. Symptoms just keep on returning. I’ve been in hospital several times when trying to reduce doses

2 Likes

I understand… then it is better to stay on meds. Sorry you had such struggles! Happy for you that Alien subsided.

I was off meds for years too, 2 years after 1 psychosis. I did use an AD for a while. I was much better then. When i quit the AD i was a mess, huge mood symptoms, paranoia and psychosis.

Now i really struggle what to do. I hate how meds make me feel and im also still frightened of them subconsciously. I fear they make me less alert to abusive situations, among other things. Maybe it would be good for loved ones if i used more meds though. I dont know, i find it so hard to decide.

2 Likes

I used to take Zyprexa and it made me sleep a lot.

My mother who has just turned 76 is now on olanzapine. She was switched from clopixol to olanzapine last winter because she had some unpleasent side effekts from the former. She is now on 10 mg Olansapine morning. 20 mg non and 10 mg evening. Some og you Might Think That this is a hig dose but in my famile we do tolerate large amounts of meds. She went of and on her meds in a period of 30 years. During that period her cognition, positive and negative worsened.

Typically, we like to leave inactive threads alone and just start a new thread instead. This is different than how some forums are run, but we do it this way because it frequently upsets users to have old topics revived when they are no longer relevant. It can also be frustrating to the person who revived the thread when they don’t get a reply, because the original poster is no longer active or no longer finds the topic relevant. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Thanks,

Volunteer Moderator