Not sure i can handle it

Ive been wanting to go to grad school to be an art therapist. But historically i cant go very long in school without needing a break for my mental health. Im not sure its worth risking hospitalization again and relapses. I had a relapse last semester and had to take this semester off. I bounced back but took the semester off anyway to focus on other things. Im happy not being in school honestly. But i hate to just give up on a dream, though im not sure how realistic the dream is anyway. I can only work 15 hours at most and even thats pushing it right now.

5 Likes

15h? That’s too much.

1 Like

Agreed it has been kicking my butt lately but im about to drop down to 9

1 Like

Do you mean working 15 hours per week, or going to school for 15 credit hours?

1 Like

Could you make a list of pros and cons? Like, really honest list, down to the itty bitty details. Also, is there a counselor or maybe your pdoc, who can give you their opinion on the matter? Like, if they think you could do it, how often to take breaks, what kinds of accommodations you would need, and maybe you would need more frequent appointments with your pdoc, so that they are always aware of your status. They could maybe catch you falling into a relapse, but catch you in time to avoid rock bottom and/or hospitalization.

1 Like

Why not just do part time studies? Slow and steady wins the race rather than stopping and going right

Yes

I was doing one class a semester :confused:

2 Likes

Thats okay not bad at all. I wouldnt worry about the doing the typical rushed curriculum, it literally causes so many mentally health issues from what ive seen in so many even healthy people. Like what university student isnt absolutely destroying themselves with all that studying. I would recommond just doing it at your own healthy pace. Hope you can and good job and congrats on what youve already achieved. Youre doing a great job.

1 Like

Good luck with whatever you decide @Froge . You probably know your limits better than any of us do. I’m sure that you will decide whatever is best for you.

1 Like

what is an art therapist lol do you put paintings on a couch and ask them about their feelings

1 Like

After psychosis, I did a second degree. It took me 8 years part-time to get my BSc.

I’m planning to work half time 19 hours a week. I hope it works out for both of us.

1 Like

This made me laugh so hard. Basically you sit qith a client and make art together withba prompt and discuss it and how you feel and such.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.