Not living in the moment

Seems like all my activities are about “get it over with” and never “I’ll enjoy doing this”. I don’t know what causes the negativity unless it is hidden pain.

It’s all about balance, chordy. I know for me I’m very introverted, so I live in my head a lot and it can be downright frustrating. I think we all see people who are only living to make memories and just can’t seem to focus and get things done, though. Too much nostalgia can be a dangerous thing. My psychiatrist told me that he’s very introverted, and as long as I’m making an honest effort, I shouldn’t worry too much. So having a “get it over with” attitude can be helpful sometimes, possibly. As long as you do your best. Now if you have this attitude towards your hobbies, I’d say that’s a problem.

2 Likes

My problem with not living in the moment, is that I dread the future, and the past always seems better than now, even though I remember it differently.

I’ve done this my whole life-avoiding the now, then “looking back” and thinking it wasn’t as bad as now.

1 Like

Fascinating…
One should live in the moment…
While I occasionally dread the future, especially meeting Death at some point…(who I have vowed to ‘kill’ the Reaper at that time, LOL), I usually 95% of the time view the future in a positive light, knowing we made in the image of god have creative capabilities and can do this! I’m not talking about radical world changes…don’t take on too much at once…just give a dollar to a homeless person, plant a tree…it creates a future, some very short term and some long…

I just planted 15 trees

The past however has its share of good times and bad, and while can be learned from should not be lived in…

Therefore we collectively, as the Native Americans taught me long ago in their Circles, should live in the moment and walk forward…as they said, when someone gets lost and loses their way they do not have to backtrack all the way to the starting point, they just simply have to turn around…

My head is not wired to live in the moment. Or my activities. I’m too scatterbrained.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Do you know if it is a true story or not?

Upon thinking about it, it was very naïve of me to think it might possibly have been true. Just a wish.

1 Like

When I was a kid, our teacher would read a story and I always wanted to know if it was true or not. The best anybody could come up with was “It could be true.”

My head is always in the future - worrying, dreading, anticipating doomsday scenarios - Its awful I tell you.
It has gotten worse, since my anxiety ramped up.

I have been thinking of the future too much - even about my death.
My therapist is telling me to try to stay in the moment, but lately the present moment is a terrible place to remain in also

I like to believe that I live in the moment but it sort of all happens in slow motion because of sz and meds. I don’t worry too much about the future but I’m rather concerned about my health. The past doesn’t bother me to much since most of it can’t be changed.

Try watching your breath consistently during the day.