Normies defined

How would you guys describe normies?

I have two defintions:

1. Normies are people without a chemical imbalance.

My other is a delusion but here it is:
2. Normies are people who can control their thought broadcasting.

5 Likes

Normies are people who see reality more accurately

4 Likes

Normies are people without a diagnosis and who wouldn’t be diagnosed with anything maybe?

1 Like

Normies is a derogatory word used to widen the already large divide between disabled and non-disabled people. We need to stop dividing ourselves into tribes and hating the other tribe for simply existing. Education is the cure to stigma. Reversing the direction of the hate does nothing to help us.

8 Likes

To me, a normie is someone who is not diagnosed with a severe mental illness like schizophrenia, SZA or bipolar.
These people are usually high functioning.

4 Likes

I dislike the term. “Aspies” (those of us on the now newly named Autism Spectrum) refer to them as “neurotypicals” since they represent typical neurological function in the population. People like myself are the outliers.

:blush:

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s automatically a derogatory word. It’s just a way to differentiate between disabled or not disabled, in a simple way. Not necessarily a negative way.

For example, if I’m being really irrational or falling into a delusion, I try to think, “Would a normie be thinking this way?? Is the way I’m thinking irrational??” The labels can be used in a positive way, too.

7 Likes

It is primarily used on this site as a way to reverse the social hierarchy that many users feel they’re at the bottom of. Kind of like, “Here in our subculture, normies are at the bottom and sz are at the top!” It isn’t always used this way, but that is the primary usage here.

3 Likes

large divide between disabled and non-disabled people.?

2 Likes

I see where you’re coming from. That makes sense and I think you’re right, in regard to usage in a large number of posts on here. I was just wanting to point out that it can sometimes be used in a good or neutral way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is my favourite quote by the master Huxley, which pretty much sums it all up:

“The real hopeless victims of mental illness are to be found among those who appear to be most normal. “Many of them are normal because they are so well adjusted to our mode of existence, because their human voice has been silenced so early in their lives, that they do not even struggle or suffer or develop symptoms as the neurotic does.” They are normal not in what may be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation to a profoundly abnormal society. Their perfect adjustment to that abnormal society is a measure of their mental sickness. These millions of abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted.”

― Aldous Huxley “Brave New World Revisted”

6 Likes

A normie is well adjusted and do not suffer from intrusive thoughts and don’t have people calling them names like they are ugly or stupid, or perverted. I was a normie once, but felt people could read my mind and this made me ill.

1 Like

Normies? Whats a normie? Cause i thought being strange in our own way was normal unless u into didling little kids or a serial killer or something like that.:joy::joy::joy: nah im just playin but kind of serious at the same time. I try not to cast judgement but little kids really? U sick dawg haha let me stop rambling nah idk i guess a normie is someone who does normal stuff idk i always thought i was normal still think iam

2 Likes

A ‘normie’ is reference to someone who does not have a neurological or psychiatric diagnosis.

When it comes to normality, you have to think in terms of base rate statistics of a behavior. Remember, many of the criteria for the disorders are not, in and of themselves, abnormal behaviors. It’s the intensity, frequency, duration, and amount of impairment posed by the symptoms that creates “disorder.” This is why we have a polythetic diagnostic system. That is, too many of those behaviors, in excess of what most people experience, that interfere with functioning. If you take a close look at the DSM, many criteria/symptoms (with the exception of psychotic disorders and a few others) are actually normal (in the statistical sense of the word) psychological experiences that should be expected to be seen in the general population. Some are even adaptable and healthy if done appopriatley.

2 Likes

[quote=“see121, post:12, topic:130842”]
could read my mind and this made me ill
[/quote] I noted that normal people well tell others what you are thinking,and then use it agent you,by ganging up.on some one. this is mindcheating games people play.

1 Like

note to reader. normal dose not exzest its all in your head. the best you can hope for is someone with experienced thinking.

To me, using the word “normie” is just an easier, faster way of referring to non-mentally ill people.

2 Likes

A ‘norm’ is a lie perfected.

My normie friends are mostly crazier than i am. That’s why i love them! There is never any normie vs mental illness stuff. Just complete acceptance and no hard feelings if i need a break . Now the people at walmart are just scary

4 Likes

I feel you always see it clearly ninjastar. Although I often like your views. I dont see any problems with what your presenting. Problems as in its problematic that this is the way it is…

1 Like