Why I dislike the term "normies"

This post might be a little controversial. If it offends I’m sorry. But I just feel this issue is important to address.
Broad generalizations applied to any given group suck. Including the mentally ill as a whole. But this idea also applies to those who do not have a diagnosis related to disorders that involve psychosis. I’m finding it increasingly difficult to understand why the use of this term is tolerated and even encouraged at times by the moderators and practically everyone on the forum.
Not everyone who doesn’t have a diagnosis is always unable to have empathy or sympathy. Applying negative and judgemental qualities to those who are not ill as a whole bothers me.
I believe that treating each person as an individual is important. I believe unfair stereotypes applied to those who do not have a psychiatric disorder are just as offensive as any other stereotype.
Broad generalizations applied to any group suck.

15 Likes

I agree.

I don’t use that word, and I’m not sure what the idea is in using it.

(Just waking up, so not my best reply.)

1 Like

I never liked the term ‘disease’ for our Schizophrenia.

I prefer the term ‘affliction’ better.

2 Likes

I understand what you mean @PatrickT.
Maybe using the terms illness or disorder can help with the negative connotations of certain words.

2 Likes

For all the shame dumping that society does, I think it’s ok to have this one inside joke. It’s self deprecating too bc it’s saying we’re abnormal. I think it’s a way to make peace with it all. Although I never thought about it so deeply. You got me thinking.

1 Like

I can see why you’re saying this, but I think it is something that perpetuates fear of socializing, encourages isolating, and is ultimately self-defeating in terms of trying to recover to the best of one’s abilities and learning to live a healthy and productive life despite the illness…

3 Likes

The idea behind the word may be to distinguish people who experience psychosis and people who don’t.

Are we being too sensitive? Are we going down a slippery slope of censorship? Will words keep changing?

Some questions I have.

2 Likes

You raise some good points. I’ve used this word myself but perhaps it’d be best if I dropped it from my vocabulary going forward. I’m ashamed to admit I’ve been of the mind of not being to relate to people not on the spectrum of psychotic disorders, but there’s so much going on in any given person’s life… You’re right, it’s unfair of us to generalize when we know firsthand the pain of broad generalizations.

4 Likes

You make good sense especially by saying it’s self defeating. All I know is that I shared the term with a social worker in a group setting and she got a kick out of it. But perhaps after some time it could have caused distance.

1 Like

personally I ahev no problem with the term normies…nor do I have difficulty with being called schizophrenic

2 Likes

Schizophrenia is such a strong word and it puts a “handle” on us and makes us vulnerable. This name calling of ours could be thought of as a way to argue back. It might call attention to the matter and make healthy people analyze the situation more.

2 Likes

What with the steretyoes related to sz, I reserve the right to use the pejorative term ‘normies’ as if to highlight that they are extremely average and experience live completely normally. In a way, it highlights that us sz are creative and special and makes any other connotation diminished.

There is nothing wrong in making ourselves feel better than belittling their averageness. The stigma for us is so much worse and that is not going away if I stop using ‘normies’ with their boring condition of averageness. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s not fighting back it’s just joining their ignorance

2 Likes

It’s a good debate and I find myself going back and forth. Does it spur a dialogue or does it just isolate us further.

1 Like

Couldn’t be more isolated anyway, and I would say it promotes debate. Perhaps, it would make them think that being average is not so special after all.

1 Like

I am extremely isolated too. By the way your screenname is awesome. I just got that.

1 Like

I personally don’t care for the term normie, because I think it only serves to widen the gap between us and people who are neurotypical. But I do understand the mentality behind using it. People have felt excluded from things their entire lives because of their condition, so they have created a new social hierarchy where sz is on top, and “normies” are on the bottom.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but I think you’re missing the point.
You say you are isolated. Is that a complaint regarding your symptoms or a defense that implies you have no choice but to let your symptoms defeat you?
Please don’t let this offend you.
Maybe one of the reasons why I even wrote this is because I seem to be experiencing a relapse and I’m trying to be objective and analytical abut what I’ve been experiencing.
Logic fighting supposedly random hallucinations and the same old preoccupations.

1 Like

Nope all it’s doing is dropping down to their level of stupidness

1 Like

Again, I don’t agree with it. Singling out any group of people for hate and derision is a bad plan, even when it’s the group that’s already in power. I like to focus on what we have in common, rather than our differences. I just understand the frustration that has driven some folks to make those comments.

6 Likes