Non stimulant adhd meds

So I heard about there being some kinds of blood pressure meds that can be used to treat adhd other than the usual amphetamines like dex and Ritalin and such. Obviously since I have schizoaffective disorder my psychiatrist is in no way going to prescribe speed pills to me for adhd. I was wondering if anyone has used these blood pressure meds that are apparently good at soothing the chaotic adhd mind? I was almost put on them a while ago but it didn’t end up happening. What were they like? Do they help?

Guanfacine is the one you are probably thinking of.

1 Like

Starlet was on it when he came to live with us. For him, personally, it seemed to make him more aggressive. He stopped hitting after we took him off of it. But my friend’s kid takes it and it calms him down a lot and he says it “makes his body listen to his brain better”

2 Likes

I am waiting on my new psychiatrist to prescribe Strattera, its a non stimulant Adhd med.

2 Likes

I took Straterra for a bit. It didn’t do much.

2 Likes

My husband has adhd and his doctor tried him on Guanafacine or how ever you spell it. It made his blood pressure really low (like 77/50) so he had to stop it. He told his doctor that it made his anxiety a lot better and his doctor was like I bet it did, were you even responsive??

3 Likes

Lmao :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Theres a new non stimulant adhd med named quelbree i dont know if its approved everywhere theres also wellbutrin but you can get seizures from it.

2 Likes

I tried Wellbutrin 150mg for a month, it did nothing other than making me irritable, maybe I needed a higher dose 300-450mg.

1 Like

@Aziz Wellbutrin can be good to some i read the higher the dose the more the probability of having seizures strattera seems like a better med theres a guy that took strattera for 5 years and still taking it he says it has helped him a lot seizures are a turn off for me so i would never try wellbutrin.

1 Like

I would suggest you to check your thyroid level. If its not close to hyperthyroid level i.e, TSH under .5 then you can ask your doctor to prescribe you some low dose levothyroxine. Levothyroxine can give stimulant like mental effect for combating negative and cognitive symptoms. Levothyroxine is the safest one to try. It will only become problem if you go hyperthyroid.

1 Like

Vyvanse actually helped me but since when were psychiatrists in the business of helping people. I was a size 10 and active and taking a full class load. I could drive. I could freaking focus. I could read a book. Now? Now I’m a size 18 I’m almost 300 pounds I’m on a 2 months injection and I can’t leave the house. I feel like this entire system is just trying to kill me.

1 Like

Strattera is a non stimulant? When they put my daughter on it she was up half the night!

2 Likes