Need motivation to take a shower

I’ve worn the same clothes for the last month and also sleep in them. I haven’t taken a shower in almost 2 months. I live with my parents and I’m 30 yrs old. They seem to not give a ■■■■ but my hygiene is horrible. I am thinking of just making a list in a notepad and write down what I need to do each day. Thing is I have no problem eating meals and working out. I seem to stick to that better than my showering. I just don’t get it. This ■■■■ all started when I hit 23 and has gotten worse.

don’t thinkabout it hunni. just do it. do it right now. i left it nearly three days this week and couldn’t stand it any longer. i hated the thought of getting naked to get in there but once i was in, i was fine. i don’t understand what my problem is either but it pisses me off big time. u must b going crazy having not had a shower in two months. come on…u can do it…or how about we set a time for a shower and u and i can have one sort of together lol. ie: at the same time. don’t know how it would work as i’m in the uk and i don’t know where u are but man, u need a shower badly. the longest i’ve gone is two weeks and that was really bad. i stank to high heaven and i hated it but couldn’t bring myself to get naked. i was so scared i used to hold onto the bathrails…come on, i can do it, so can u! i’m rooting for u hunni. xxx

2 Likes

I must have an issue with being naked and when I did take showers in the past I’d always do them fast because I felt like I was being watched. I’d get out of the shower and the mirror would be foggy and sometimes have hand prints on it or say words. That always freaked me out. Well I am in the USA and when I was well I’d always take showers in the mornings around 7 or 8 am. The longest I’d go then would be 3 days max. I’d feel really grubby by then. With these 2 months of not showering, I feel nothing, I feel numb emotionally and njust don’t give a ■■■■ about my life anymore. It’s sad what has happened to me but I"m glad you understand. I needed that comfort.

1 Like

I really do want my mood to lift -sighs- Whenever I did take a shower I felt cleansed and felt like a new person. I don’t feel loved by my parents at all anymore.

I leave the bathroom door open and the window open so the glass doesn’t fog up. The fog freaks me out too. What about a sponge bath? Just fill the sink with water, strip down (or one article of clothing at a time), wash with a sponge or washcloth, soap and water, rinse and dry off. Put on fresh clothes. Ask your mom to wash your hair.

See, it’s just so overwhelming to take all my clothes off then have to step into the shower with beading water flowing over my naked body and feeling like I’m drowning while in there. I have done sponge type baths in the past. I’d do what you said and also wash my hair under the sink.

1 Like

Or what about bath’s? or are they overwhelming too? I know alot of people on here like those instead of showers.

1 Like

Hmm that might actually be kinda relaxing and not have to deal with the noisy shower faucet water beading down on me.

2 Likes

You could ask your parents to run the water for you if the noise bothers you. Play with adjusting the water temp. and depth. Start out shallow and add more if you can tolerate it.

For the longest time I had to take baths… the noise, the feeling of the water hitting me… the uneven temp… the fact that I couldn’t hear what was happening around me in the shower… so I took baths for ages…

A few months ago, my sis changed the shower head. It’s softer and higher up so I can actually stand under it. It’s more even in temp… it’s not as loud… so I can actually shower now.

this is just my silly brain… please ignore if I’m off base… But I think there is a connection to feeling like your parents don’t love you and not having the motivation to take care of yourself. Have you tried talking to your parents or maybe just seeing if they are willing to be friends again?

Maybe they don’t want to push you and don’t know how to start the conversation and are afraid of making you upset. It could be a lot of things. I hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Your brain is right on that one actually. I’m more close to my mom than my dad. The time I even talk to my dad is if I ask if I should mow the lawn or go out some weekends to eat or visit different stores but that never happens anymore. I think if I do get my motivation back they will end up talking to me more.

2 Likes

If you think writing stuff down will help you, then try it. Make a list of what needs to be done and check each thing off as you do it.

2 Likes

You get motivation by doing things and taking action. Even little things. It snowballs. If you wait around for motivation to come to you, you may be waiting a long time.

3 Likes

I always have to take baby steps to take a shower. First I get a towel out. Then I start the warm water running and let the bathroom get warm enough and a little steamy so it isn’t a shock to get under…etc, etc.

1 Like

I usually go a week between showers… I hate being naked, I’m always worried someone is spying on me, through a hidden camera or hiding somewhere in the room. I have a walk-in closet in my bathroom, and the door has to be shut tight, and I put a hamper in front of it just in case. There’s also a window in my bathroom that faces the neighbor’s house so I worry that they’re peeping on me. But every Saturday, and some Thursdays, I force myself to take a shower. I should do so today, in fact, but I don’t think I have any clean clothes to change into.

1 Like

Maybe think about how rewarding taking a shower will be. After the shower you might feel great. It only take 5 minutes

When you’ve succeeded in taking a shower make a new post to this forum

1 Like

This is me too. i’ll go for a few weeks in the same dirty clothes. i just dont have a strong feeling of reason to clean. but is nice when you do it and remember the good feeling of self care.

Damn my ■■■■ started when I turned 24 I am hoping to be able to beat this thing. I’m sorry that you are still dealing with symptoms. Hell man just shower every other day or so and do your laundry it’s not that bad. Good luck. Try not to overthink it.

2 Likes