Need cheap, healthy food recommendations

Kinda sick of stews now

Noodles :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Different kinds of sauces and pasta. :blowfish::blowfish::blowfish:

1 Like

I’m impressed by your stews!! Do you have a spiralizer? It’s great for making veggie noodles! Or an insta-pot?

1 Like

Sorry I don’t have those things

I make a ground sausage with potatoes and cabbage all cooked together in a pan with a little olive oil. Then I spread it with shredded cheese to melt on top, and lite sour cream. It is a cheap dish. You can substitute the ground sausage with turkey sausage if you want it healthier.

2 Likes

I have been cooking for myself ever since I moved out of that retirement home. I bought a slow cooker, which is really convenient. So far I’ve made baby back barbeque pork ribs, and also ham with beans, potatoes, onions and carrots. Everything has turned out delicious so far.

3 Likes

How about tomato salad?
I slice some tomatoes and some mozzarella, and I put some spinach leaves on a plate or in a bowl. I them put the tomatoes and mozzarella and spinach in layers, and on top I put diced red onions.
It’s cheap, healthy and yummy.

2 Likes

cook cajun food !! I follow Paul Prudhommes cookbook and can give you some of his recipes if you want…I cut down on the cayenne so it’s not so hot.

1 Like

Beans, rice and broccoli with some Worcestershire sauce and seasoning. It’s cheap and my daughter loves it

1 Like

I like tuna casserole, 3 cans of tuna, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream of celery soup, fresh mushrooms and celery, noodles, and cheese. Cook noodles a lil bit, drain and put in baking pan, mix tuna, soup, mushrooms, celery, some shredded cheese, 1 can of water and pour over noodles, top with shredded cheese, bake in oven at 350 for 30-45 min… Yum

3 Likes

I just made this. It smells delicious and based on the few bites I’ve taken its pretty good. It’s super easy to make. I used preminced garlic and would have bought precut onions if Mr LED didn’t agree to cut them for me. I did shredded chicken, cooked a ton of chicken in the slow cooker and shred it as needed for meals. Cheaper to buy in bulk.

Vegetarian chili
Naan bread veggie pizza
Spicy chicken curry pho
Greek salad
Taco soup

We buy pasta from Aldi for just under a dollar .
It is macaroni cheese carbonara style.

We share that and also have sausages and frozen vegetables.

It is delicious and cost us only $1.50 each.

The frozen vegetables are healthy and we buy them from a shop.

We buy the sausages from Woolworths.

Healthy food? Dark leafy greens are one of the healthiest things you can eat. Collards, kale, swiss chard, arugula, cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, even lettuce. These are what fill most of my plate at meal time. Sometimes, often in fact, a salad is all I eat for a meal.

1 Like

Green Thai curry? They are easy to make too, you just need the curry paste and a tin of coconut milk to add to chicken. Then you can add veg to it however you like it. Get the reduced fat coconut milk though it is more healthy and tastes better.

1 Like

canned sardines are cheap

and very good for you

I substitute them for ground beef

and make a tomato based pasta casserole

I buy them at the Dollar store here in my neighborhood.

2 Likes

Just made lentil and barley broth

1 Like

Cabbage steaks!

1 Like

Rice,pasta or potato dishes
local seasonal fruit and vegetables.
Saladbread, beans,
Mince, sausages, fish

1 Like