Need all the information on Haldol Decanoate

After nearly 8 months on Invega it’s started to raise my prolactin levels and we need to switch medications again. My psychiatrist wants to put me on Haldol and eventually switch to the long acting injection. What can you guys tell me about Haldol? Anyone here on the long acting injection? I’m nervous to make the change especially since I’ve been doing so well.

I was so stable on the Haldol depot once upon a time. It felt like I was a normal person. Then i stopped taking it and got put on invega. I have severe paranoia and delusions. Just an hour ago I almost lost complete control. Needless to say I’m getting switched back to Haldol. My next depot is Haldol at the end of the month!

I don’t know how well you tolerate Haldol, so it is hard for me to tell you what to expect, but I was on the long acting shot for about six or seven years. I don’t tolerate Haldol well, so those years were a misery for me. The decanoate shot generally gave me a lesser dose than taking Haldol orally. When I was taking 40 mg daily in tablet form it was utter misery. Just about all the typical antipsychotics make me miserable. When they first started me on the shot I was getting 150 mg a month. That comes out to roughly 5 mg a day, so it wasn’t as bad as the decanoate shot. They lessened my dose over the years, until I was taking about 100 mg a month. I got into trouble taking that small a dose. Right now I am taking Geodon and Seroquel, and they handle my symptoms well without the deadening effect on my brain. For some people Geodon is The Answer.

1 Like

I don’t know how well you tolerate Haldol, so it is hard for me to tell you what to expect, but I was on the long acting shot for about six or seven years. I don’t tolerate Haldol well, so those years were a misery for me. The decanoate shot generally gave me a lesser dose than taking Haldol orally. When I was taking 40 mg daily in tablet form it was utter misery. Just about all the typical antipsychotics make me miserable. When they first started me on the shot I was getting 150 mg a month. That comes out to roughly 5 mg a day, so it wasn’t as bad as the decanoate shot. They lessened my dose over the years, until I was taking about 100 mg a month. I got into trouble taking that small a dose. Right now I am taking Geodon and Seroquel, and they handle my symptoms well without the deadening effect on my brain.

I had two shots of haldol injection. But now there’s a shortage of this med in Greece

Haldol is the same of haloperidol?

1 Like

I was on Haldol Decanoate shot for 3 years (I think- it was back around, 2003?)
My head became so quiet it was lonely in there. I also had nothing to say, nothing to talk about, think about, it was like it was empty, zip, nada, hollow, zero, void… so much so that my husband at the time (an ex now)
asked someone to go look for me because he hadn’t heard from me in an hour- I was sitting right behind him.
The tablets I tolerated better.

Do you understand, even in portuguese? Potenciacy, extrapiramidal effects, sedation and hipotension.
Alta = high
Baixa = low

I always have scare of expiramidal effects cause a i have them with abilify. Imagine if a took haldol. I don’t want to imagine.

I was on it for a short while. I was very stable on it, but also emotionally flat, empty. On a higher dose i was so unattentive and sedated that people commented on it and i wasnt capable of following a conversation. The lower doses (i think i went down to 20 or 30mg a month or so, cant remember) where better. Im now on 0.5mg a day orally and that seems bearable.

Now im thinking of it: i think i was more stable on the low dose shot than on oral meds and i might have had less side effects. I liked the idea of not taking oral meds.

I was on haldol decoanate for awhile and it worked great, although it did give me the shakes. You may have to use oral haldol while the shot is building in your system, also you’ll probably have to take cogentin for tremors.

I’m supposed to take the pill for six weeks while we work on patient assistance for the injection. All I remember from the pill before hand was a backwards muscle tightness in my face and neck.

I’m on haldol 100 mg shot. It works pretty well for me. I didn’t hear voices for about a year. I hear voices now but it’s not too bad. I really like haldol.

1 Like

Here we go. First night on Haldol

2 Likes

Haldol is a really old drug. I show pretty cheap for the injection when I looked it up. I cant imagine they would have patient assistance for it?

I’m on Haldol 5mg daily (on top of zyprexa 20mg) and I like it. It controls my symptoms well

1 Like

I was on the pills and the injection for a few years. I could only afford 1 vial of the injection a month, so I had to supplement with pills. It worked really well until all of a sudden it just didn’t anymore. 🤷

Nevermind. I did find that it’s kinda expensive. It’s just an old drug. Seems strange that it’s still so expensive.