Schizophrenia.com

Mylan discontinues Haldol pills

That’s my understanding. It’s not right at all

1 Like

I hate those med dealers right now. This is totally unethical. I didnt have them in high esteem before, but doing this for higher profit is ridiculous. Hope you guys are finding good solutions.

2 Likes

Me too @anon73478309! I see my pdoc in like a week. Hopefully we can come up with something

2 Likes

Good luck @Pianogal!

3 Likes

1 Like

According to Mylan Pharmaceuticals’ website, they are still actively manufacturing the 2mg tablets. NDC number is 51079-0735-20. Call a chain pharmacy and ask them to look on Cardinal/McKesson with that NDC number. It could be on backorder like a bazillion other things right now.

Another option is to see if maybe a compounding pharmacy can make it. It appears that Zydus is still producing the power for compunding. If you promise them a stream of business for custom capsules, they may just at the opportunity.

1 Like

This is awful. I feel terrible for those of you who rely on this med. I hope y’all can find something that works well for you in lieu of Haldol.

1 Like

I just got a refill for 5mg haldol for 90 days. The bottle says Zydus.

I’ve been trying to get off haldol for a few years now, I cut the 5mg pills in half, the problem is I need the smaller dosage pills to ween off very slowly and now they’re not making them. This is turning into a pain in the butt. The haldol stifles my sexuality but I’m dependent on it. I’ve tried to come off of it quickly over a month or two and it turns into a nightmare. I need to ween off of it about 0.5mg every 6 weeks to do it right. Any suggestions? maybe I need a compounding pharmacy.

I am glad somebody got 5 mg Zydus prescription. That is currently the smallest dose they make.

I’m on 2.5mg haldol now. All I need is the 2mg pills to come back and to have a 6 month supply, then I’m confident I can completely ween myself off haldol (I can cut the 2mg pills into halves and quarters to cut down the dosage slowly).

I don’t think there’s any excuse for cutting off this drug from people abruptly, the withdrawal is downright nasty, worse than quitting smoking.

1 Like

I’ve been on Haldol for about 5 or 6 years. I have little doubt that this forced medication adjustment will cause me to lose my job. At least the US economy is going well enough that I should be able to find another one.

1 Like

I received an email reply from a Zydus rep. Zydus currently makes haloperidol 5 mg to 20 mg.

Zydus reply:

“Our plans are to continue to manufacture Haloperidol. We are increasing our capacity and supplying our direct customers.”

1 Like

The fact that they do this to people, the most vulnerable people, I’ve been on Haldol for 8 1/2 years, its obscene and they ought to be ashamed of themselves. Ethnic cleansing in the name of the almighty dollar.

2 Likes

Do you guys think this is related to the charges against several drug companies for collution?

1 Like

Owl, it is a shame that Mylan, a profitable corporation that produced the majority of Haldol / haloperidol pills, has not produced any since 2018.
I have not obtained 1 mg haloperidol from a drug store since December 2018.

Zydus Pharm. may eventually produce more to fill the shortage, but that is just a guess. Zydus smallest pill now is 5 mg. and its pills are in short supply.
Tree, I do not know if collusion was involved in the discontinuence. If the price skyrockets, then it would smell fishy.

1 Like

Latest update has Mylan lower dose pills coming to market in mid-June.

I’m trying to get 2mg haldol pills.

I hope Zydus steps up and makes the lower dose pills, this is getting ridiculous.

The FDA updates have been incorrect for at least six months. The smaller pills were supposed to be restarted last December according to FDA updates. Each FDA update is revised with a new target.

ASHP has shortage updates that are more accurate, but not perfect.

I contacted Mylan a month or so ago and the rep told me Mylan has discontinued haloperidol in pills.

Well thank you for sharing the information and updates, it is appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update.

1 Like