Mylan discontinues Haldol pills

I contacted Mylan via their website about Haldol yesterday. I got a phone call today from a Mylan rep. She said Mylan has discontinued Haldol pills. Mylan was only seller in USA.
I will have to find another med after 40 years on Haldol.
Haldol shortage link

4 Likes

WHAT? I Can’t live w/o Haldol.

1 Like

From that website

• Zydus has all haloperidol tablet presentations on allocation.

SO Haldol will still be available in the US or what?

It looks like the manufacturer zydus is still making them.

I think Zydus only makes a small quantity to institutions, not drug stores.
Drug stores have not had Haldol in about 4 months.
I will try to contact Zydus via email later.

2 Likes

According to a meta analysis, haloperidol is least tolerated drug among 15 antipsychotics.[1]

[1] http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/news/events/2013/september/Leucht-2013-15-antipsychotics-meta-analyses.pdf

That’s very irresponsible, especially since they started saying the shortage would resolve in January. I used to take 30 mg of Haldol, but my pdoc started me on Zyprexa two months ago and I’m doing way better on it. The last thing I needed was fearing I couldn’t get my meds so I was open to the change. Now I’m ready to get off disability and go back to work, thanks to Zyprexa working so much better. A med change may be a good thing for others as well, you never know.

4 Likes

I’m on Haldol and it helps. Now I can’t take it anymore. This sucks

1 Like

I find this scary, even if im not in the USA. I hate being dependent on meds and their sellers. I empathize with the people who now have to get off haldol. How can these sellers do that? Werent they making enough money with it?

Also (I mentioned it in another similar topic): how about liquid haldol, drops?

2 Likes

I think they’re discontinuing every delivery method of Haldol

1 Like

So all of the USA has to get off haldol? Wtf?

3 Likes

That’s my understanding. It’s not right at all

1 Like

I hate those med dealers right now. This is totally unethical. I didnt have them in high esteem before, but doing this for higher profit is ridiculous. Hope you guys are finding good solutions.

2 Likes

Me too @anon73478309! I see my pdoc in like a week. Hopefully we can come up with something

2 Likes

Good luck @CoCo!

3 Likes

1 Like

According to Mylan Pharmaceuticals’ website, they are still actively manufacturing the 2mg tablets. NDC number is 51079-0735-20. Call a chain pharmacy and ask them to look on Cardinal/McKesson with that NDC number. It could be on backorder like a bazillion other things right now.

Another option is to see if maybe a compounding pharmacy can make it. It appears that Zydus is still producing the power for compunding. If you promise them a stream of business for custom capsules, they may just at the opportunity.

1 Like

This is awful. I feel terrible for those of you who rely on this med. I hope y’all can find something that works well for you in lieu of Haldol.

1 Like

I just got a refill for 5mg haldol for 90 days. The bottle says Zydus.

I’ve been trying to get off haldol for a few years now, I cut the 5mg pills in half, the problem is I need the smaller dosage pills to ween off very slowly and now they’re not making them. This is turning into a pain in the butt. The haldol stifles my sexuality but I’m dependent on it. I’ve tried to come off of it quickly over a month or two and it turns into a nightmare. I need to ween off of it about 0.5mg every 6 weeks to do it right. Any suggestions? maybe I need a compounding pharmacy.