My therapist laughed at my delusion today

My therapist laughed really hard at my delusion today. I guess the real kicker for her was when I started talking about fascist state employees.

Then she said not to tell my wife that she laughed at my delusion.

I don’t know how I feel about this. When someone laughs at one of my delusions, it really makes me feel like I need to re-examine what I am thinking and try to get my thinking straight. On the other hand, I get the impression that therapists are not supposed to laugh at their clients.

What do you think?

I think it depends on the context. If the delusions r causing u distress, it’s not nice too laugh at you.

I had a doctor laugh at my medical report once. It’s ridiculous, the things I said, especially about the imagined brain chip.

I feel distress from my delusions sometimes, but I understand that it shouldn’t be warranted.

For me it’s hard, because I often know that something seems preposterous, so I am embarrassed to be speaking about it. But on the other hand, some part of me is believing it – and if I didn’t know other people would think it was preposterous, I might become ensnared by the delusion and believe it …

Seems somewhat unprofessional to laugh in my opinion

I don’t think she was laughing at you. I think she found the delusion funny. Even if she was laughing at you I don’t think she meant to be mean. she just found it funny. I do see how you could take it the wrong way though.

Depends whether the laughter was dismissive (of the delusion) or derisive (meaning, at your expense). It sounds like it was dismissive since the delusion seemed silly to her. She probably should have caught herself but I don’t think she meant anything mean by it.

Probably not the most professional thing to do, but then not all laughs are voluntary, and delusions can be pretty silly.

Sometimes our delusions can be pretty damn funny so just notch that up as the therapist being human.

Some delusions are pure nonsense.
She should told you that’s not real

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.