My son's stepmom has leukemia

My son is very close to his stepmom. He goes to see her in the hospital every day. He’s only eight years old. He lives with his dad and stepmom. I get to talk to him once a week.

What do I say and what do I Not say to him?

When I don’t know what to say, I do active listening.

Jayster

I would only bring up his stepmom if he brings it up…as for her leukemia…I strongly urge them and you to consider stem cell treatment…my ex wife’s ex husband beat his leukemia with a complete blood transfusion with stem cell treatment…I am sorry you are having this happen. @Loke

How about asking him if he needs help with anything? School must be very tough right now, with all of thos happening, maybe spend some time helping him out.

Just let him know you understand it’s a tough time for him, and that you are there for him. Don’t say it, show it.

There’s not much to say about these things. If he wants to open up, maybe hold him for a while when he cries on your shoulder.

Nothing you say will make her better, but many things you can do will help him cope and go through this feeling he is not alone.

1 Like

Oh, deiem, I just re-read your post, you don’t see him, just get a phonecall a week. Man, if I were you I would do my best to go where he is and give him a big hug. It’s your son, and you need to be there and see he is okay, even if it’s not very easy to do. Spend a day or two with him, don’t talk, just find a way to support him. He will guide you through it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.