My psychologist downplays everything

My last therapist who was another phd thought I had a serious disorder - she frantically took down notes when I went to see her, she kept asking me how I was doing - am I ok - she gave me cbt for months, she kept reminding me that my condition was serious etc… My current therapist downplays what I have. She keeps telling me that what I mainly experience is anxiety based, she keeps telling me that I ‘think’ too much about my disorder - she keeps telling me that psychosis is nothing really - she constantly downplays everything that I am thinking or feeling!
I dont know, I realize that I improved since seeing my last therapist but it seems like my current therapist dismisses the severity of my past psychotic experiences - she seems to be brushing my concerns or fears away! Kind of like dismissing my experiences as being minimal - is this normal? I mean WTF!

1 Like

I’d prefer someone in the middle. Or leaning a little toward the second one.

1 Like

She sees you as a person, a human being, not as an object or a collection of symptoms typically identified as schizophrenia. I can only see this as a good thing. I find myself obsessing over my illness — talking about it endlessly with my family — and I suspect reading a forum devoted to schizophrenia only exacerbates the problem.

2 Likes

I had a therapist like this. Actually that’s kind of why I stopped going to therapy. The ones with less education are like that too. It depends on what they specialize in. My therapist helped or encouraged me to stop medication, and then took it back and started confronting me about it in front of my dad when I became almost psychotic or manic. Then that stopped. She realized her mistake and I decided I should quit seeing her. Another therapist I had tried to do neurofeedback with me, said my anti-psychotics were making me spaced out and not all there. She advised a nutritionist and to stop taking medication. I stopped seeing her because she was young and unprofessional. The neurofeedback plus the way she did it also made me uncomfortable. She appeared to believe and not be sure of if mental illness existed, and then claimed the neurofeedback treated mental illnesses.

1 Like

I do think you are right @gainesms. She seems to be humanizing my condition, not liking the labels of schizophrenia or even bipolar too much. She feels that even neurotypicals sometimes experience hallucinations from time to time.
Maybe she is trying not to add some more fear into my life - I have enough of it in my life as it is!
I just never experienced seeing this kind of cool, calm almost aloof behavior in a therapist before - the ones in the past seemed neurotic - full of nervous energy - not this one

1 Like

No Starry - my current therapist is pro meds - she seems to be concerned whenever my dose is lowered or when I start a new med. I have a feeling that she is not very experienced when it comes to severe mental illness - maybe she is a bit overwhelmed and is afraid to rock the boat - not saying much to me.
She comes up with some good advice in a lot of areas - I may continue to see her - we shall see

my shrink and psychologist down play certain symtoms…aliens etc…
they don’t like the sz word…they never use it…they treat symtoms that present i.e suicide, depression etc…
they feel it is less confronting.
each shrink and psychologist use different methods and techniques.
maybe write how you feel about her behavoiur towards you, and hand it to her.
i have an ocd chart, a sz chart and a general thoughts and feelings chart that i fill in and hand over, if i am not happy i will tell her.
yesterday she looked at me as if i was mad, which for some reason i found offensive, so this goes into my feelings chart, so she knows.
take care

2 Likes

I have a friend who is a psychologist. She believes schizophrenia is purely a psychological problem rather than a brain malfunction. She hates antipsychotics for it has so many side effects. She hopes I quit meds one day in the future and just receive counselings.

I think she is mad.

2 Likes

This is what my therapist does. He never really says anything more than “you’re ■■■■■■ up”, even when I was off my rocker he didn’t call me paychotic. He also says that my problems are anxiety problems. Maybe the mouse approach is being implemented across the nation. Lol. Someone’s schedule for school looked a lot like my second semester which made me suspicious of there being a mouse treatment program study.

Or I am just experiencing delusions of reference. But hey, I kick ass and eat roadkill

1 Like

Yes I am noticing this too with my therapist and pdoc - they treat individual symptoms also

1 Like

Maybe it’s a trend based on current cultural psychiatry.

1 Like

Sounds interesting @pob but what do you exactly mean?

You know - the outlook of the times. Like shave your head or go retro with a hippie look. Does that make sense to you? Psychology people do that too. Ot tattoos or rings in your tongue.

1 Like

I think the main reason could be there is tigma with sz and no stigma with anxiety .also patients become worse if they are being told they have sz . we are even otherwise sensitive people and being called sz is not very glamourous right.

1 Like

pure counselling may not help completely and depends on the severity and also will power of the induvidual .

there have been some studies however of a combination iof vitamins and counselling combining to provide good results.however counselling has been more of a helper

1 Like

That surprised me. I have been thinking counseling was like prayers and my SZ was caused by a physical destruction to my brain and was beyond the reach of counseling.

1 Like

well you are right except for the fact that you have the ability to rewire the brain and make that part of your brain work again . methods vary but it helps only mildly and not for severe cases .for severe cases it works as a combination

Its like this exercise helps people with schizophernia (and without schizophernia also) by reducing stress.
but it cannot by itself cure schizophernia .But surely there is a differnece between somebody who exercises
and does not .same for counselling.who is your frined by the way .would like to interact with her

She lives in Vitoria Canada. She runs a clinic.

where do you stay .whta is your email id and what is hers