Hate when ppl try to downplay my experiences with sza šŸ¼

When ppl try to tell me Iā€™m not schizowhatever and theyā€™re not a doctor, and Iā€™m doing pretty good on medication. Like this lady at Iop last night I mentioned abilify and someone said ā€œI never heard of an Anti depressant workingā€ and I said "well itā€™s not an antidepressant " since every antidepressant Iā€™ve taken has made me psychoticā€¦so I go on and say itā€™s an anti psychotic she says and downplays itā€™s power by saying "oh it helps with mood and clears your thoughts a littleā€¦trying to downplay my experiences ā€¦ya sure it helps that but also helps with voices, intrusive thoughts, paranoia, delusions and all the schizo symptoms Iā€™ve experienced. She couldā€™ve ā€œguessedā€ Iā€™m bi polar which im not sheā€™s a social worker making assumptions . I find it annoying when therapists donā€™t give you enough credit for what youā€™ve bren through. When Iā€™m off my meds im in a complete state of psychosis 24/7 near instantly and she tries to downplay my ability to recover by downplaying my illnessā€¦annoying

ā– ā– ā– ā–  'emā€¦or something. i meanā€¦right?

1 Like

Iā€™m probably gonna be vocal about it in group todayā€¦overall ā€œā– ā– ā– ā–  emā€ but I need to let it be known how i feel. Maybe one of the other tcs will give me advice how to better stand up for myself in these types of situations going forward.

An easy way to combat this is taking the time to develop an understanding of how these medications work. There are hundreds of studies, information, all kinds of stuff on them!