My paranoia

My paranoia makes me look at virtually everybody as if they are threatening me. But then I cherish the too infrequent times when everything slows down and I see they 're JUST PEOPLE. People who are going about their business and mean me no harm. When I tell my therapists that I am afraid of being attacked in public , they invariably ask me,“When was the last time someone laid hands on you”?
And I answer, “That would be 1988”.

3 Likes

My delusions are more about cameras and recording devices in my bedroom and in my car. It’s a fleeting thought but its unpleasant and happens for a few minutes every day. but I used to think of delusional ■■■■ non stop 16 hours a day, and was hearing voices and seeing and hearing people talk about me and plan to kill me and such, and was paranoid as ■■■■.

Good ole times!

maybe you should learn some martial arts or self defence course.
it will make you feel more confident in public .
take care

3 Likes

I am sorry that you are paranoid of being attacked in public, nick. That was awful. I once was afraid of being attacked by some secret racist organization for being a Chinese. Now with enough meds this kind of feeling was gone. and I have to remind myself from time to time that nobody is interested to kill me.

I am constantly paranoid - lately it has not been severe, but it seems to be a symptom I cannot shake off, it is always there in some form. I get more paranoid at night or when I am home a lone for a while. I have intrusive thoughts/images of people breaking and entering

2 Likes

That is exactly what happens when I’m home alone at night. I don’t like being home alone at night. I am always double checking the doors, making sure no one is breaking in. I barely slept the other two nights when my sis was at our other brothers house. I had a panic attack both nights. It lets me know that I don’t do well completely alone.

Yeah its strange, I am less paranoid when I go to a store or out in public by myself - my paranoia ramps up when things are still at night bed time - or when I am alone in the house

Same here, I’m wondering if it’s because when I’m getting ready to go out, I know there are going to be a lot of people around and so I sort of get ready for that. Manage to talk myself down.

But at home, alone in the TOO quiet apartment… every little noise soon starts to set me off.

2 Likes

but even if it was 1988 its still a traumatic experience. dont beat yourself up for being ill.
that hypervigilance tho can be exhausting so finding ways to relax is good for us folks tc