My new job has changed after I requested adjustments for SZ

They moved the department I would be working for

I am pretty upset with this, because my skill-set was perfect for the department I applied for

Now they want me to move to a more software development role, and I have to learn 2 coding languages - R and Python

This all came about after I asked to work from home and disclosed my SZ

It might be because of that. or the fact I had to wait so long to be health screened that someone else got the position

Not sure I’ll be able to cope with this job now

What can I do?

I waited since I applied in February to get to this

2 Likes

Can you tell the human resources department this or tell them just what you wrote? That you feel your skill set was better for the department you were hired for, and that because you disclosed your schizophrenia you fear discrimination and will need to find another job if you cant cope with changes? That should help.

4 Likes

I could do that. Problem I have is this job is for the government ministry, and it’s a forever job

People who work for the civil service tend to stay there and the benefits are very good

Need to think about what you say, as you’re right, but I need to think of a way to do it that won’t compromise my position

Since I got this job and it has taken a lot of time to get to this stage, I have applied for a lot of other jobs but heard nothing back :frowning:

1 Like

Generally, government employers seem to have a better awareness than some private employers do, of the need to accomodate disabilities and also of laws against workplace discrimination.

I think it’s worth talking with HR and asking them why you are being moved to another department. Explain to them that you feel your skills better fit with the department you were originally hired for.

6 Likes

Things have probably changed since my father took early retirement from the Foreign office in 1985. He got a lump sum of 18 months salary and continues to get half pay that goes up when current pay for the job goes up. I think his retirement pension is about £55K year which gets turned into dollars as he lives in the States. With the £ not doing well at the moment his income will have dropped to about $63 k.

1 Like

At least they didn’t give you a broom and a dustpan. You can still use your brain.

1 Like

That’s an impressive pension

I am not sure whether they do a flat rate, or it’s tied to earnings. Don’t even know my hours or days off yet!

Might not even be able to cope with it, but I am going to try anyway

When I am off sick I still apply for jobs all the time. No idea why I do it, but this one came up and I hope I can be more motivated to try again properly

My last job I lasted 2 months before I was off long term sick :frowning:

1 Like

I will do this after I hear back

Need to understand what they’re offering

Wasn’t really to enthusiastic with this new person, and it might have shown

It started off with 3 different roles, then by the end of the call, she was far less certain about it and ‘needed to get back to me’

Was just thinking about it more. Might have given off the wrong message

1 Like

I heard back. It sounds really interesting. Should get a start date today!

Now I just need to hope the Cariprazine was the right choice

:blush:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.