Feel crazy for saying this, but I’m considering telling my manager about my SzA

A big part of me thinks it’s a bad idea, but another part of me thinks it may soon become necessary. The thought of doing it scares me, never know how someone will react, but damn this manager stuff is hard on me.

For example I’m trying to get away from working twelves. My manager knows this, but regardless I’m working over twelve hours today. I was supposed to work just 12-8, with another manager there all day, so apparently the head manager is trying not to give me the twelves. But damn, the manager who’s supposed to be there all day today called off, so I’ll be there 8:30a-9p as the lone manager. I’m not mad at the manager who called off, considering he hardly ever does that, just upset with the situation.

It’s getting to the point that I’ve actually had thoughts of asking for a demotion, go back to my former role there if possible. Problem is I’m not sure I can afford to take a pay cut right now, plus I’d feel ridiculous taking a big step backwards.

Idk. Don’t mind me, just stressed out and venting. I plan on taking maybe five consecutive days off sometime next month or in November. I need a damn break.

Don’t feel ridiculous. You do what you have to do for sanity’s sake.

I know you probably don’t recognize me because we haven’t interacted really, but I read your threads and I see how hard you work.

Be careful about disclosing fully though. I got pushed out of both jobs I disclosed at, they made my life miserable until I left.

If you can get documentation for accommodations without specifically disclosing your exact diagnosis, I would do that first.

Dont tell them, i feel theyll judge. Demotion isnt bad if it work to your favour?

I was doing overnight shifts and just quit, doesnt work. And im not telling anyone my diagnosis history, its nobodys business - chances are high they arent eductaed on the matter

I would say I need to tell you something - I’m disabled. I don’t want to discuss my condition, but I want to tell you I can’t work long shifts because it affects my health to have that much stress in a day and I don’t want to end up having to take a long break to recover. My condition is severely affected by stress. So please only schedule me for the 8 hour shifts we originally agreed upon. If need be, I can get a note stating this from my primary dr.

3 Likes

Perhaps just tell your Superior that you’d like to scale back your hours of work in order to have a better work/ life balance.

I don’t think getting into MI issues is relevant right now. See what they say first when you mention what I just wrote above.

Be careful.
I had a hard time picking up the pace with a job I worked for, so I told them about my schizophrenia and I lost respect from everyone, my co workers were saying things about me like ‘oh he’s incested’ or ‘hes stupid’ and ‘his mom was knocked up at age 13’ and other vulgar things I should not mention
I lost it one day and just left
Eff them ---- I would never treat anyone like that

1 Like

Me neither! Not even before my diagnosis.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I’m going to hold off on saying anything about it to anyone there.

I get really stressed out sometimes, but I always survive it. I’ve been stressed lately.

Today was pretty terrible and stressful, thanks to our most recent hire calling off already. It’s crazy how these new hires keep getting supposedly sick with a call off within a week of starting. Okay sorry, venting some more.

Good attitude!!! 1515

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.