My dad is a alcoholic i dont understand why he doesnt take medication for it

Theres medications out there for to reduces his urge to drink, i dont why he doesn’t go to doctor and get help. his alcoholism change him alot, his verbally abusive and angry all the time. Before he drank he nicer. I blame the alcohol for that. I swear he needs to get on one of this medications asap, because his alcoholism is killing his body slowly.

1 Like

I’m sad to hear that.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that @oe1489 . How long has alcohol been a problem for your Dad? The problem with any serious addiction is, they have to want to quit

2 Likes

So sorry @oe1489
This must be tough on the whole family.

1 Like

His been drinking for a long time. I dont know if wants to stop.

1 Like

Yea thanks, it creates lots of problems in the house.

1 Like

You could go to “Al Anon”. Al Anon is for people affected by another person’s drinking.

2 Likes

O really thanks, i never heard about this, ill definitely check it out.

1 Like

I dont agree with medications for being a piss head. It takes away the responsibilty.

Take ownership of your drinking if its a problem and goto AA.

It’s an illness! My grandfather drank himself to death. He never quit! Never wanted to either.

1 Like

Alcohol works on GABA receptors in your brain just like a benzo and you can become dependent on it just like a benzo. Maybe he needs more than just a pill to eliminate the desire to drink

sorry to hear your father keeps drinking…
must be hard for you…

A Pill completely eliminated my desire to drink with no side effects. I gotta say it’s a good way. But I don’t think a pill is for everyone for any situation. Naltrexone saved my life though. Been on it for 5 1/2+ years

1 Like

Alcohol is a drug…

2 Likes

Really i wish my dad can take that, so he cant stop killing his body.

Mine also. For about 40 years

1 Like

It feels good that im not alone

1 Like

He was so angry.
A really angry and furious person.
Now that he gets older, he gets milder.
But i have trauma from his abusive behaviour

2 Likes

My great uncle had an addiction to alcohol. They put him on one medication but it wasn’t strong enough to curb the urge to drink. So they gave him something stronger but for it work you can’t drink any or it can be fatal. Thats a big problem…to give it up completely.

I really don’t know if they perfected medication to cure alcoholism. They might have medication you can take in conjunction with therapy or AA that reduces the craving. But I don’t think the majority of alcoholics are going to take a pill and there alcoholism disappears.