Schizophrenia.com

My car is making strange noises

When I try to turn it on it screeches is it because its cold outside?

2 Likes

check the belts. specifically the alternator belt.

3 Likes

Bring it into mechanic pronto. It may be not that serious but why take that chance? It may be the start of some huge problem. If you were lucky you would know how to work on cars or have a friend or family member who knows how to do it. But if you don’t, call a mechanic and arrange to have it checked out.

I learned long ago, “Having car problems is like having problems with your teeth; the longer you wait to have it fixed, the more serious and expensive it gets to fix it.”

3 Likes

Yeah sounds like a belt slipping. I agree with @77nick77 . Sort it out with a mechanic early. It’s not normal and better to find out what is wrong early. Things like alternators and compressors for your air con are a lot more expensive these days but it’s worth spending more now till major problems later.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s not the belt itself, but the pulley. I’ve had this happen more than once on the pulley of the alternator. You can fix this very easily yourself by gently and firmly touch the pulley with a wire brush. It etches the pulley enough so it stops squeaking. One of the most annoying sounds isn’t it?

1 Like

Given that it’s winter and it does it only when you turn you probably have a power steering leak. It’s common for high pressure hoses to fail in the cold. When fluid in the resiviour gets low the pump starts to sqweil.

1 Like

Yeah, but this wins first place:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.