Morin Pretreatment Attenuates Schizophrenia-Like Behaviors in Experimental Animal Models

Abstract

Objectives Morin is a naturally occurring flavonoid with strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that flavones modulate neurotransmission through enhancement of gamma amino butyric acid activity in the central nervous system; which led to the hypothesis that they could exert tranquilizing effects in rodents. Hence, this study was designed to evaluate the antipsychotic effect of morin on experimental animal models.

Methods The antipsychotic effect of morin (25, 50 and 100 mg/kg) administered intraperitoneally (i.p.) was assessed on novelty-induced locomotion, apomorphine-induced stereotypy, ketamine-induced stereotypy, ketamine-induced hyperlocomotion and ketamine-enhanced immobility in forced swim test (FST). Catalepsy and rota rod tests were also carried out to evaluate the extrapyramidal side effects of morin.

Results Morin (25, 50 and 100 mg/kg, i.p.) pretreatments significantly (p<0.05) demonstrated anti-schizophrenia-like behavior by inhibiting ketamine-induced hyperlocomotion in mice. Moreover, morin (50 and 100 mg/kg, i.p.) significantly (p<0.05) reduced spontaneous locomotor activity. Also, morin suppressed apomorphine-induced stereotypy and ketamine-induced stereotypy. The increase in immobility in FST due to ketamine administration was reduced by morin in a significant dose-dependent manner. Furthermore, the antipsychotic activity of morin was not associated with extrapyramidal side effects, as evidenced by decreased decent latency and increased motoric coordination and performance in mice.

Conclusion The results of the study revealed that morin demonstrated antipsychotic-like property devoid of extrapyramidal side effects in experimental animal models and may be beneficial in the treatment of schizophrenia-like behaviors; particularly in patients with behavioral hyperactivity and negative symptoms.
Key words
psychosis - schizophrenia - antipsychotics - morin - antioxidant - behavioral pharmacology

https://www.thieme-connect.de/products/ejournals/pdf/10.1055/s-0043-119127.pdf

6 Likes

Wow @firemonkey that’s exciting !!
I hope it progresses to human trials!

1 Like