Modafinil for activity level. Please

Hi. I know I don’t have Sz but I wondered if anyone has been on Modafinil for activity level. It helped me when first on it years ago with activity level problems but has pooped out for a long time now. My Pdoc has doubled my dose to 200 daily split between morning and lunch.

Did anyone take this? Dose? Did it stop working?

How did it help? It woke me up a bit and gave me more energy and in motion to do things.

How long to get some relief? For me it was quick to work last time but didn’t exactly last forever maybe a year.

Just looking for a bit o perspective for hope here. If not, ECT next, maybe even gonna get it anyway. F@*& this.

I doubt many people with sz get modafinil because it can cause psychosis.

1 Like

@Anna takes it, but she doesn’t have schizophrenia. She has a sleep disorder that causes hallucinations, if I remember right. I think most schizophrenics don’t get stimulants.

@Ninjastar @Richard888

Yeah that’s what I thought but thought I’d check.
Because when I took it last time I was very ill and in an institute. For about a week I saw illusions and ‘minor’ hallucinations but I didn’t mind because it was nothing new. It was interesting actually. Kind of mesmerizing. It went away eventually probably because they started me on antipsychotics for other reasons.

So… I can’t imagine what it would do to someone who has Sz!

Yes my doctor has questioned how much of my illness is true psychosis and what is sleep disorder.

That said, the reason why I was put on modafinil/armodafinil is because it was supposed to be the least likely to aggravate my psychosis compared to other stimulants. It is a “gentle” stimulant.

2 Likes

I recommend trying armodafinil over modafinil . Modafinil is very short acting while armodafinil lasts 8 hours. I am on 200 mg armodafinil. I did not like modafinil because it would wear off so fast but I’m very happy w armodafinil.

With any stimulant, your body can build tolerance. They are not like other psych meds, for these meds “holidays” are actually recommended where you go off them for a weekend so you lose the tolerance. Then go back on. I’ve not really had to do that with armodafinil though.

Its hugely changed my life. But I have narcolepsy. It makes it so I don’t just sleep all day and can actually have a life. Interestingly it also greatly reduced my hallucinations. But again we don’t know how much of my psychosis is actually psychosis and how much is narcolepsy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.