Meds did not work out

I’ve been having a hard time. The meds I was on made me gain 60lb over a couple of months and I became very depressed. They also did not help my symptoms as much as I had hoped. I quit taking everything and I’ve lost 30lb so far, but the sz symptoms are bothersome and I think it’s bothering my family.

If anyone has tried ECT or has any thoughts about it they’d like to share, I would be grateful…

1 Like

The meds might take a few months to totally remove the symptoms, it took about one year for all my delusions to go away

Ect can cause severe nausea and memory loss, it’s usually used as a last resort after trying clozapine

2 Likes

Stay away from ECT. It messes with your memory. :hatching_chick::hatching_chick::hatching_chick:

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, it’s not something I’d want to jump into even if I could. My memory is very bad anyway…

1 Like

Have you tried Clozapine? :elephant::elephant::elephant:

1 Like

No I haven’t. Are the side effects very bad? I just know myself… I am very med-resistant despite my best efforts.

I’m on Clozaril. It’s just a pain cause of all the bloodworks involved but other than that my only other annoying side effect is drooling sometimes in my sleep. Happens couple times a week

2 Likes

I am trying latuda right now and I don’t think I gained any weight on this medication. Although I think it is a little weaker for positive symptoms. I am on 80mg and I think I might try 100mg. I was still hearing things at 60mg. Maybe another one worth a try. Haven’t gotten any akathisia but I am worried about getting that. I had to quit drinking on this med and that has good for me.

1 Like

I heard and read great things about Latuda. Unfortunately that’s what I was taking (100mg). I suffered tremendous weight gain and akathisia. It seems to work great for a lot of people, but sadly not for me.

Atypical antipsychotics cause severe weight gain fort me so I like old meds. Perphenazine works really well for me.

1 Like

Another thing to bring up at my appointment! Thank you!

1 Like

I gained 80 lbs from antipsychotics but I’ve stopped gaining for about 2 years now

1 Like

You could try haldol. It’s supposed to be weight neutral.

1 Like

It took 3 years for invega to “quiet” my voices

1 Like

I have lots of haldol that I was prescribed for breakthrough symptoms as needed on top of the latuda. I just rarely took it. Maybe it would work by itself. I’m just scared of everything now.

Man, that’s so long… I’m glad it’s working somewhat now though?

Yeah but life is what it is. I saw very slow and gradual progress after an initial dramatic change. Now I like my voices and they fill a type of matrix universe I live in

Had my appointment today and pdoc put me on perphenazine. I hope it works! Thanks for the recommendation!

3 Likes

I had an appointment with my pdoc today and asked his opinion on ECT. Without skipping a beat he said “works every time.” He said he isn’t ready to put me on lithium yet and I need to fail that to qualify. He also said it’s really more for depression. Well, the more you know… still probably a long way off from being an option I’ll seriously consider.

Keep trying! I am still working on my meds. Recently I got improvements I had not expected.

1 Like