Meds and sunburn / photosensitivity

Hello everyone,

I have just recently found out that some of the meds I am on (2 actually) have photosensitivity as a side effect.

I spent 3 hours outside yesterday and got sunburn pretty good in that time. My parents were with me and they didn’t get sunburn anywhere near as bad.

I decided that since I never used to get sunburn like this that it must be medication related. Sure enough my Wellbutrin and Abilify both have potential to have photosensitivity as a side effect.

Does anyone else have this happen to them?

I could get sunburn even if standing under sunshine for more than 10 minutes in spring or autumn. This condition appeared after I started Sz medication.

1 Like

I went on vaca to Florida an my pdoc said to watch out for the sun because of my meds.

1 Like

I spend a bit of time in the sun at my volunteering. It’s not the best thing but I use a lot of sunblock, hats etc. Sometimes I get a little sunburn but I tend to get dark rather than burn. Still. The sun is something I take precautions for!

1 Like

Be careful. When I got put on antipsychotics, I could tell I burned more easily. Once I could feel the burning of my skin from the sun blaring through my car window. I started wearing long sleeves out. Keep you some sunscreen and some cooling aloe gel close.

2 Likes

15 minutes in the sun during summer here and I am burnt. I suppose the ozone hole is right near me.

2 Likes

It wasn’t even sunburn. Thorazine made my skin on fire if I stayed out for not even 5mins, I cried when I walked two blocks. No sign of sunburn. My family went on vacation and I tried going on the beach with long sleeves and pants, the top of my head that has thick long hair burned! I went back to the condo and slept the whole time. This was in 2009

1 Like

Yep. I burn easily anyways, but my meds make it impossible to be in the sun. I burn, I get nauseous, I get dizzy. It’s awful.

1 Like