Medi-care in the US question

Hi guys. Next year I am eligible and HAVE to switch to MEDI-CARE. I am on MEDI-CAL right now and all my medical care and meds are zero cost. I am paying nothing for the past few years.

When I switch over to medi-care will I have to pay monthly payments. And co pays for medi-cal visits and treatment/medication?

2 Likes

Do you qualify for medicaid?

1 Like

After two years on SSDI everyone gets Medicare Medicaid-care.

1 Like

Hm I don’t know anything about that. I’ve been on medicaid for years and just got ssdi and they gave me Medicare for free

So you pay nothing have no copays and medication cost?

Basically. I have to pay for one script because it’s deemed optional by medicaid. But yes the medicaid covers everything else.

1 Like

I think that depends whether or not you apply for and are accepted into certain programs. I think the “extra help” program is what pays for mine. I started out having to pay monthly on my medicare when I first received it but no longer do.

Edit: I think that it is through medicaid that still pays my medicare monthly costs, even though I don’t receive full benefits.

@Froge I think after a few years you won’t be eligible for Medicaid and have to switch to medicare.

I think you been getting Medicaid cause you must have worked and lost income when you stopped working. That gives you Medicaid.

Hmmmm @Bowens so you you have both Medicare plan a and b? I’m so confused by these plans. I heard medical plan b has increased premiums in 2022.

If you qualify for what they call “extra help” you’ll pay a lot less. I was on Medicaid until I got my disability. Now I only qualify for Medicare. I also don’t qualify for Extra Help so I have quite a lot of bills to pay

Ok that’s news to me I never heard about extra help. I have to look into that. Thanks @CoCo

1 Like

Yes, I have both A and B . (also D which is their drug plan)

Oh gosh that will cut into my SSDI. I’ll have to adjust my budget for medical expenses. Never heard of planD. I must get that as I am on so many medications . Thanks @Bowens

1 Like

Looking into…it may actually be medicaid that pays these costs…extra help kind of comes along with it…

It’s very confusing as to what pays for what when you enter these programs…

1 Like

I’m gonna look into if I qualify for extra help. They do make this so confusing.

2 Likes

I think extra help is mostly for paying for Part D related costs.

1 Like

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/prescriptionhelp.html

No I’ve been on medicaid for years because I have been making 600 a month for years. Idk if I’ll continue to qualify though :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Nope I was wrong…this is the program that pays my part a and b premiums…I remember now…
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/get-help-paying-costs/medicare-savings-programs

Thanks @Froge @CoCo @Bowens guys this really helps. I had no idea these extra programs existed. I think I will qualify based i those links

2 Likes