Losing Medicaid and have to go on Medicare

I got a notice in the mail that my Medicaid is ending and I have to go on Medicare. The difference is that I have to pay a premium for Medicare. Medicaid is free and covers everything. I hope I still qualify for help with my premiums since I am very poor. I only get 1350 month in SSDI. In my sate (WA), less than 1365 qualifies for state help. I have a bunch of phone calls to make to get this figured out. I can’t go without pdoc, tdoc or drugs. I have 90 days before i switch. My current service provider, where I go for pdoc and tdoc only takes Medicaid so I will have to switch. Bummer.

1 Like

Can’t you “buy” a Medicaid supplement for your Medicare? Or rather isn’t it possible to get both?

Bummer.

Jayster

1 Like

I may still be eligible for Medicaid to fill in the gap where my Medicare doesn’t cover. I was looking through my papers just now and it is possible I have overlap coverage. I also need help getting my rx every month. Very concerning.

When I go to the Emergency Room and they note I have both Medicare and Medicaid, I get excellent care. Or at least so says my partner, who is a Registered Nurse.

1 Like

Oh, do you have both? I may end up with both. I currently go to a “Medicaid” clinic for my tdoc and pdoc care. I wonder if that will have to change when my primary coverage changes to Medicare.

Yes, I have both at the moment.

Jayster

2 Likes

So is that the difference? I don’t have either.

I don’t know a ton about them either. Medicaid is paid through the state, I believe, and it is free. It covers, medical, basic dental and rx drugs. Medicare is for retired people or for disabled people on Social Security. I am on SSDI. I used to have Medicaid and Food Stamps (EBT card) through my state. Now I am on SSDI so they took away my food stamps and started me on Medicare (starts June 1st). Because my SSDI is low, my state my pay my premiums or pick up what Medicare doesn’t pay so I would have Medicaid (state) and Medicare (federal). I hope that is the case.

1 Like