Man I am thankful for meds

They are far from perfect but I would be in an institution without them

7 Likes

Yes- they can make quite a difference.

2 Likes

It strikes me that you have really benefited from you moving house near your family. Your family seems to have galvanised a great support structure (cleaner, podiatrist etc)

2 Likes

Yes,people with psychosis/schizophenia can sometimes moan about family, but the power of good family support can never be overestimated. I do think though that for those without family(near at hand or just none at all) and seen to be in the chronic,middle aged or older category the situation is less good. My stepdaughter couldn’t help much before , although she wanted to , as we lived about 3 hours apart. I had family/stepfamily closer but rarely saw them.

It is sad that it takes family pressure and
support to galvanise services to go the extra mile for the severely mentally ill .

The recent care assessment I had stressed that in Essex I had become disorganised and was not maintaining my flat. Mental health services never knew that though as they only came to the flat once in the 8 years since I’d started the depot, as I’d been late for a dose. They had no idea how I was doing.

2 Likes

Yeah I think due to cutbacks quiet but struggling patients are often ‘parked’ for years. I live in the same village as my parents. They do everything for me

1 Like

'Parked is a good way to describe it. The truth is if you are on your own with no family near at hand and are not a danger to yourself or others that’s what happens. I may be cynical but I think behaviour that may upset society is seen as more of a priority often than things that affect you as the mentally ill person. Basically if you’re functioning at even a lowish level and are living independently that’s seen as being good enough.

My depot nurse has said, in the past, I’m functioning much better here with support than I was in Essex.

2 Likes

Am with 100% on the behaviours that upset society thing. Seen it happen countless times on the ward.

1 Like

I’m grateful for vraylar mostly. Took 6 years.

2 Likes

I agree… Where would my mind be without those meds?

1 Like

Same here. I am such a better person on meds.

1 Like

I’m grateful for a doctor who lets me suggest meds to try based on my research.
I’m also grateful for the medications, without them I wouldn’t be able to function.
I used to think the doctors and meds were evil.
Glad I grew out of that phase.

1 Like