Lundbeck enters research partnership on novel treatment of schizophrenia

8 Likes

Lemme see…it looks to be good…

1 Like

Its a variation of the old dopamine theory. Not really impressed. At least there is talk of no side-effects. And better cognitive functioning.

3 Likes

I tried looking at the Lundbeck website to see if the compound names was listed but nothing. Do you know what the new compound is called ? Is it similar to aripiprazole?

Can I get a run-down on who Lundbeck is and what he has been involved with? I read up on clinical trials occasionally but mostly stick to MRI based trials and the name isnt ringing a bell. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I think this must be Vanderbilt’s M4 drug, which is not a direct dopamine blocker. So yeah it would be a novel approach.

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/basic-sciences/discoveries/targeting-new-pathways-treatment-schizophrenia

5 Likes

https://www.aspet.org/aspet/news/news/2018/01/05/from-bench-to-bedside-how-allosteric-modulators-of-muscarinic-receptors-found-their-way-into-the-clinic

4 Likes

Good morning @firemonkey … U woke up so early…hahah anyways take care …

I slept a fair amount during the day.

1 Like

Great find, @firemonkey, very hopeful.

" VU319 targets the muscarinic acetylcholine receptor M1, a key component of cognition that is severely downregulated in a large portion of schizophrenic patients. Its downregulation may contribute to the cognitive disturbances and negative symptoms of schizophrenia, such as loss of motivation, inability to feel pleasure, and social withdrawal."

4 Likes

I emailed Jeffery Conn and this is the reply i got.

Thank you for contacting me about our efforts to develop new treatments for patients suffering from schizophrenia. Unfortunately, the process of discovery of new medicines is very long and difficult. If these efforts are successful, it will still take at least 5 years for the M1 drugs and 7-8 years for the M4 drugs to become available. One of the most difficult aspects of this work is knowing the tremendous need new breakthroughs in treatment for patients who are suffering today, and the long time that it takes to advance new treatments. I wish you the very best and am very hopeful that effective new treatments will begin to emerge over the coming years.

3 Likes

Thats a pretty positive response. 5 to 10 yrs for new treatments. Go science!!

PS: what does M1 and M4 drugs stand for? Clinical trial phase 1 medication and phase 4?

1 Like

muscarinic m1 agonist and muscarinic m4 agonist, the m1 is for neg and cog m4 is for positives.

3 Likes

I love no side effects part really fed up with side effects.

1 Like