Loxapine is making me so hungry!

How do you ignore your hunger pangs and drive to eat when it’s from your meds? Anyone else have this with loxapine?

While I’m not on Loxapine, I get the same thing with my Olanzapine. Always hungry

1 Like

@TheCanuk Do you end up eating? If not how do you stop yourself?

1 Like

I do end up eating, I’ve gained a lot of weight on this med but I feel better mentally so I’m okay with it. @CoCo

1 Like

When clozapine makes me hungry I drink caffeinated beverages to curb my appetite and I eat small portions so my stomach shrinks

1 Like

I had the same problem. I was put on Metformin, and it has really curbed the appetite issue. Talk to your doctor and see if they’ll prescribe Metformin.

I’m already on Metformin @Sezbot241, but thanks for the suggestion. I would have tried that for sure if I weren’t already on it.

1 Like

Good idea @Winterblues!

When I was ravenous from zyprexa, I would mix protein powder with a little water and eat the goo. I dont remember gaining a lot of weight then

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @friscokid12!

I buy flavored water or calorie free water mix for my sweet fix. I drink a lot to keep my stomach full.

1 Like

Good idea @Air.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re dealing with major hunger! I know the Zyprexa was causing it for you too, I was hoping the Loxapine would be different. Is it helping with your positive symptoms, I hope?

I don’t have any advice for controlling your hunger, other than getting things like raw vegetables that you can eat a lot of for few calories. Three weeks ago, I started integrating a large bowl of raw veggies as a mid-afternoon snack since I am eating dinner later, and it really helps! I don’t know if that’s an option for you, if you like raw veggies, but it helps keep me full!

1 Like

That’s a great idea, @anon39736208! I haven’t had raw veggies in a few months. But they definitely help me feel fuller. I’m seeing who’s assigned to follow me but not specifically seeing the men anymore. I’m taking 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg at night. It’s making me sleep during the day and I go to bed early in the evening. I think I might adjust to it overtime though but I’m not sure.

So that is some progress, YAY! :smiley:

1 Like