Low-Carbohydrate Diet Superior to Antipsychotic Medications

3 Likes

Seems dubious. In any event low carbs give false hypoglycemia or perhaps just moderately low blood sugar.

2 Likes

I’m gonna go ahead and call bullshit) on that.

6 Likes

Buddy diet couldnt replace psy med like anti -psychotic…

4 Likes

What a load of crock.

2 Likes

I was on a low carb diet for years and am still super crazy.

2 Likes

Someone on reddit said they didn’t get any benefits until 2 months into the diet.

1 Like

I don’t think the article is implying that the diet is a substitute to antipsychotics.

1 Like

I feel like “someone on reddit” shouldn’t be blindly trusted.

I was on that diet for two years after I had my son,

And noticed no difference in behavior, thoughts or mood.

5 Likes

Not if you keto-adapt. When you switch to ketones as your source of energy, hypoglycemia would be harmless.

1 Like

Well I left out the word “me” by accident. I have diabetes.

There is always some kind of ultra trendy diet promising all sorts of unbelievable health benefits,

And in a couple years, just like all the others, they’ll admit its not all that healthy, possibly harmful.

If you need psychiatric help, you should be seeing a doctor and talking about real APs, not a diet.

I mean, diet is important, but its not an alternative to meds and therapy.

1 Like

Well there’s different kinds of low carb diets. Maybe the one you tried didn’t work.

The one mentioned in the article is the ketogenic diet, which is a high fat low carb diet. It’s different from Atkins diet, which is high protein instead of high fat.

1 Like

I don’t think the author of this article is telling you to quit your medication and get on the diet. They can be combined you know.

3 Likes

Then the title is misleading in a massive, potentially dangerous, way.

7 Likes

@szsam which med are u on…?? I am on rispridal and seroquel…

I’ve heard a lot about the keto diet,

All the fancy ladies in my yoga class are into it right now…

:rofl:

And I misunderstood, I thought from the title you were suggesting people stop meds and just diet.

Also I don’t know if you read the article but the author happens to be a harvard trained psychiatrist.

Keto-diet is bad for your energy levels. Physically you might be okay. But it’s bad for your heart and your brain since they both need carbs to function. It’s not a sustainable diet. Hypoglycemia was also mentioned earlier which is the problem when one has too little blood sugar (glucose) which can have the following symptoms

• blurry vision
  • rapid heartbeat
  • sudden mood changes
  • sudden nervousness
  • unexplained fatigue
  • pale skin
  • headache
  • hunger
  • shaking
  • dizziness
  • sweating
  • difficulty sleeping
  • skin tingling
  • trouble thinking clearly or concentrating
  • loss of consciousness, seizure, coma

The guy who made the atkins diet, which is a low carb diet, also died of a heart attack during his usage of his trademark diet because he believed in it so much. So yeah, would not advise doing that.

1 Like

We didn’t read the article, because there is no link posted.

Also, I don’t trust some guy on reddit that says he’s a harvard grad.

Plus he’s a psychiatrist,

Not a nutritionist, so…

Doesn’t add up, homie.

I’ve asked a friend of mine’s daughter about keto, she’s actually in school to become a nutritionist and she said its safer and easier on your body to do a straight vegan diet with a few exceptions.

1 Like