Looking for a new job: input needed

Hi all, I’m starting to be a regular poster here lol. Thank for all your responses guys they’ve been immeasurably helpful.
Anyways, I’m seriously considering quitting my customer service job. My coworkers are absolutely great, but I can only take so much human contact in one day, especially the knuckleheads that call or come in with ridiculous problems. Not to mention the fact that I have to have a walkie talkie with people blabbing and mimicking my own voices attached to my ear 95% of my shifts. All in all its time for a job change. I want something where I don’t have to deal with people so much. So far I’ve come up with hotel room attendant, custodial jobs, laundry aide in a nursing home, and factory job but they all have some serious cons (mostly involving being in contact with other people bodily fluids). Does anyone else know of some more solitary job choices out there? I’m only 20 and don’t have much experience so I’m only looking for about $10/hr, I just can’t do the constant human contact anymore.

I’ve worked as a janitor for the past 5 years. It’s pretty easy work and I get to work alone. I work in the middle of an office building surrounded by workers but I’m not working alongside my co-workers. I come in to work in the morning and my boss tells me what tasks I’m doing for the day, and I wander off alone and do the job.
Yeah, bodily fluids is an issue with some people when they are considering whether to be a janitor. I rationalize this issue to myself in two ways.

The rationalizations are plain and simple. First: There are huge numbers of people doing janitorial work who have to clean restrooms. If they can do it, than so can I!! Secondly: There are many people who are in lines of work who deal with bodily fluids. Doctors of course. Cops see and deal with people who are covered in their own grime and bodily fluids. They see nude bodies sometimes. They have to touch these people. Maids have to deal with it too. So if people in high positions can handle it so can I.

I feel no more embarrasesed about bodily fluids than a proctalogist who has to stick his finger up inside some stranger he just met. As a janitor, you get used to it.

1 Like

I guess that’s certainly one way to look at it. I was hoping for office settings, they tend to be less gross. I’m a big baby when it comes to vomit and feces, so schools are a big no go for me. Do you frequently get the same task list? @77nick77

Restrooms are just one part of what I do. We also vacuum and empty wastebaskets. Those our are the three main jobs that our 4 man crew does. We are vacuuming and emptying wastebaskets in the offices and cubicles. The bosses like to switch us around in our tasks. I might be assigned to vacuum offices for three or four months and then I might get switched around to emptying wastebaskets for three months and than I might be switched to doing restrooms. So yeah, it’s not a complicated job, and yes, I usually know what I will be doing when I walk into work. I like having the same tasks and routine.

1 Like

So do I, working with people just gives too much room for surprise. It sounds like this might be right up my alley. Now hopefully I can find someplace that will hire me without experience! @

what about a cleaner?

1 Like

I’ve been looking into cleaning jobs, they sound like they’ve got minimal interaction:)

1 Like

You might try looking on Craigslist. Here in California we have vocational programs for the mentally ill that you can go to where they will help you with classes or groups or help you in other various ways to get you ready for employment. They also get people jobs. And they are free. You might want to search your location for places like that.

Also, we have employment agencies specifically for the mentally ill. I’ve used them several times before.
These are very helpful. The agency created a resume for me, they gave me tests to see which type of work I was best suited for, they conducted mock interviews to prepare for the real thing. They also took me to a store and bought me a $100.00 of nice clothes and shoes to wear in my job interviews. But I doubt you will find a place that does that.

At the disabled job agency they also had lists of current job openings in my city. I don’t know of you want to go that route to get a job. I would also look for regular employment agencies near you. These are very helpful. They are in touch with numerous employers who notify them when they are in need of someone to fill a position.

2 Likes

This is fantastic information. I’m pretty sure we have something similar to this in my city. I’ll have to get into contact. It’s reassuring to know there are place like that out there to help! Thank you @77nick77 I hadn’t even thought of this.

You might look for data entry job. I got two job offer s recently after I began to look for data entry job. They are easy! If you can find a job in printing, it involves minimal human interaction and is low stress.

1 Like

Working from home as a medical transcriptionist. Delivery driver (I deliver bulk fuel and work alone most of the day). Filing clerk. Data entry.

2 Likes

Data entry? Does this involve lots of work with computers?

I only have a permit so I can’t drive except to work, doctors, and home right now. But transcriptionist also sounds right up my alley. Thank you guys, I’ve got some great starting points now!

Yes. Pretty much exclusively.

1 Like

It turns out I’m not using computer all the time but only some of the time.

1 Like

This is probably the opposite to what you want to hear, but we different persons so that’s fine lol I just spent the past 15 years working office jobs until one day I just couldn’t cope with the social BS of it any more. And by that I mean all the gossip, corporate politics and associated games, the social arm wrestling etc. Offices are a toxic environment in my experience, though it needs to be said that I’ve never worked in one where all staff were educated. In fact, I’ve mostly worked in offices where none of the staff were professionals. To clarify, I mean, maybe an office environment would be okay if you were an architect or a doctor surrounded by others who are less likely to be neurotic bimbos. I think I might have just realised I’m in a bad mood lol

2 Likes

I can totally agree with this. Although I personally have never worked in an office, my mom has. She worked with educated people as well as doctors, in fact she moved up in her field that at one point she was only a step below the CEO. And this was a big company! And she still had stories of people making toxic office gossip gone bad, people that were constantly making the same mistakes, corporate politics. I know that a typical office is not a place that would be good for me, even if I had my own cubicle. If there was any chance I’d have to work with others there, I doubt it’d go down very well. Now if I succeed in my career choice and had my own office within my own practice. That’d be great. Anyways rambling, I should be getting ready for work. Thanks as always!

Ps. You might just be! That’s okay though, we all wake up on the wrong side of the bed from time to time. That just means it’s time to do something fun for your brain!

When you work in higher level IT you tend to be surrounded by Apsies. Sometimes they make the neurotic bimbos look pretty good.

1 Like

haha it’s funny you should say that. In my last job, during a training refresher I had an Aspie facilitator and he got off on such a bad foot that when the rest of the people left for first break, I had a chat with him to give him some feedback on his approach, which he had no idea was failing miserably. (I was the only male in there other than him) The ladies were giving him all kinds of cues (of increasing intensity) and I knew things were going to go downhill pretty quickly if something didn’t happen. They thought he was being rude and arrogant and aside from that he was not pausing long enough between presentations for anyone to digest any of it, including me. We ended up becoming friends. Workplace friends anyway. He wasn’t into “social friendship” lol. Maybe I should finish my IT degree …

It’s worth adding that the content delivered in the training was of rather complex nature and the ladies I mentioned ended up finally understanding it (as I said it was a refresher) and he recieve positive accolades for his efforts. I think it just goes to show that a little understanding goes a long way. Says the guy who just called all office workers bimbos :smiley:

1 Like

Ever notice how neurotic women always own small yappy dogs? And talk to them like pre-schoolers? Always.

1 Like