LGBT+ Spirit Day

Happy LGBT+ Spirit Day! A day to reflect on the impact of widespread bullying of LGBT+ youth (which of course we should be doing every day but it can’t hurt to have a reminder).

17 Likes

Is this a world-wide thing? I’ve haven’t heard anything about it here in Arkansas USA.

2 Likes

I think it was started by someone from Canada and is supposed to be an international thing. I only know about it because of the internet because I also live somewhere where it’s not observed offline.

1 Like

I checked the gay press and saw an article about it. I should probably read the gay press more than I do.

1 Like

I’m a 61 year old gay man, and I was never bullied when I was young, but I didn’t realize I was gay until the last year of high school. I wasn’t out until several years later, but only to family and friends.

4 Likes

There’s some information about Spirit Day here:

3 Likes

Never heard of Spirit Day.

1 Like

Lgbtq people have come a long way. When I was young, getting married was unthinkable, just like the Soviet Union going away peacefully was. I can remember when being gay was illegal and being afraid of the police.

3 Likes

Good quality thread. :+1:

We need to be there for the LGBT community.

:peace_symbol: :rainbow_flag:

3 Likes

Where you born gay or was it a choice you made? I’m curious because I have a niece that recently came out. Did you ever like girls or where you just attracted to men?

1 Like

Sexuality is never a choice. Repressing it or accepting it is the only choice. Anti-LGBT conservatives push the “it’s a choice” view to defend discrimination.

2 Likes

I hope that I didn’t offend you. I am truly ignorant when it comes to lGBT. I’m trying to come to grips with it.

2 Likes

No, you didn’t. Don’t worry. I could tell that you just didn’t know.

2 Likes

There’s a big joke among transmasculine people that we weren’t born this way, but then we watched Mulan and General Sheng made a man out of us.

4 Likes

I am LGBT and I am of the bisexual persuasion, although, I much prefer women; and, because of that preference I chose a lesbian lifestyle and identity.

3 Likes

A choice? It’s not a choice. If you’re bisexual you can choose which gender to date though, at least in some cases.

I’m bisexual and I prefer girls. I don’t spend much time on LGBT forums because I don’t identify with gay culture very much and I don’t know what it’s like to not be attracted to women’s boobies.

Would love to attend a pride event sometime though. I live in the right area for it, but that dang covid…

3 Likes

I came out to my parents in 2011 three years after starting a relationship with my partner. They said they understood but we use to fight none stop my family against me and kay.

They ultimately tried to make me choose between them and kay on my 31 birthday.
I chose kay but unfortunately there were consequences. They didnt speak to me for a year after my dad died. Now were back to not speaking. They would prefer if I repress it. And live a lie

3 Likes

You didn’t choose your sexuality, though. You chose how to live with it and how you identify.

2 Likes

I identify as pansexual and experience more of an attraction to feminine-presenting people (of any gender or lack thereof). I’m with a wonderful cis man now, though, and couldn’t be happier. Interesting how this stuff works, lol.

2 Likes

I’m a nonbinary asexual and I don’t really have a preference over male female or any other gender

I never thought I would fall in love but now I have a boyfriend and it’s wild

However my family still doesn’t know about my gender and it’s very awkward and I hate it but idk how to come out or if i even should

1 Like