Latuda not working starting clozapine

Latuda is not really making a difference in my anger issues my doctor is putting me on clozapine what are the side effects is it a heavy medicine how sedative is it?

2 Likes

All I know about clozapine is that it is for treatment resistant people with sz. That would of been my next option, but olanzapine(zyprexa) is working for me

3 Likes

i hated it when i was on 350mg a day. i gained 60 pounds in 6 months and i was skinny to begin with. got tachycardia. my blood sugar went up. choked on my spit in my sleep to the point of throwing up in my sleep. think i felt kinda blank and dumb. my blood cells dropped once. by the end of the 9 months i was on a diabetes medicine and a heart medicine because of it. so i quit taking it

5 Likes

Bongo I wont voice my personal opinion about Clozapine. Clozapine is the last option after 2 antipsychotics couldnt make you Well.
So that means that Clozapine works better for psychosis after two antipsychotics didnt do. I was on 600 mg Clozapine for half a year 25 years ago. Yes it did work so after 3 month it viped out any psychotic thoughts eg Agressions, Voices and delutions. I quit it of reasons Im not gonna say here.

There are things you must know and that is that aswell as Clozapine is the strongest antipsychotics so are the side effects.

You must get your blod drawn every now and then to ensure you do tollerate the Clozapine Well.

You must exercise and eat healsy because Clozapine is worse than other antipsychotics in regards to weight gain.

Maybe you Will need some laxatives like milk of magnesia or mirilax.

You May need some mouth drops to counteract salvia.

For the very unwell who have tried 2 antipsychotics Clozapine is the best option.

A friend of mine was deeply psychotic for half a year before he was put on Clozapine and afterwards it was like night to day.

1 Like

I had like 4 different ap that didn’t work, then I went to a professor who put me on zyprexa. I wish I knew this earlier… just my perspective of the situation though!

2 Likes

The blood testing seems to be a pain but it becomes less frequent after a certain amount of time

1 Like

Dont worry Bro Im sure thats a good decision to stay safe and to keep people around yourself safe. Yes thats truely a wise decision.

1 Like

I said no to clozapine for years

Now I regret that decision

Calmer and I can actually sleep now

2 Likes

Do you have any memory problems i still have a hard time remembering what i did an hour ago on latuda

2 Likes

Yep, could be from bullying (moved away from that situation), alcohol (planning to quit when I start work)… the aps themselves… I guess time will tell if I need to change medication!

Sad reality, hoping things improve… my problems once again… only time will tell if things improve, but gettting better slowly

Edit: hope things good with you!

2 Likes

Does clozapine affect imagination emotions and intelligence ?

1 Like

Im the same, Got tachycardia, diabetes, gained a ton of weight and choke on my saliva. Bad med in my opinion.

3 Likes

Not really any memory problems

You have to make sure you have a lot of sleep at night tho otherwise it’s harder to function

3 Likes

I don`t like the idea of dashing pills and what works for one May not work for another and visa versa. I Think that it all depends of the dose you take. You May as a matter of fact respond to as low a dose as100 mg Clozapine and if so you Will properly not experience that many side effects.

1 Like

Ä° said no nefore too but the other medicines were too heavy especially the invega sustenna injection i had taken for 7 months latuda didnt have much side effects but it didnt do me any good in terms of anger hopefully my small dose of 150 mg clozapine will do me good

1 Like

I’m on 300mg clozapine and its working well

1 Like

I had to be moved onto oral suspension liquid as the pills were upsetting my stomach

2 Likes

You might want to check out Dr. Laitman’s website. There’s link to presentations about clozapine use including how to deal with side effects.

1 Like

You might also want to read this article about using very low dose lithium for anger. It’s available as a supplement, lithium orotate and can be purchased without a prescription. This us much lower dose that prescription lithium carbonate. Usually it’s taken in doses of 20mg or less per day. https://www.jamesgreenblattmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Irritability-Anger-and-Rage_GREENBLATT-Townsend-Letter-Oct.-2022.pdf

1 Like

I am currently on 250. Slowly increasing. Been on different doses for the past 7 years and going as high as 500. It’s my miracle

1 Like