Lactic acidosis and Metformin?

I’ve been having burning sensation off and on in my chest, unusual sleepiness and difficulty breathing when lying down and I’m starting to wonder if it could have to do with Lactic Acidosis possibly caused by Metformin.

Although, I would think that this would be something that would be detected in my blood tests.

1 Like

That’s potentially fatal. I’d get proper medical advice.

1 Like

These are the reasons I stopped Metformin except for sleeping. On my metformin bottle it says irritates the stomach and can cause stomach pain. I thought I had heartburn but it stopped after stopping the metformin. I had extreme abdominal pain.

1 Like

I told the Dr and he wanted to reduce the 1000mg dose but I told him I want to completely stop it and he was ok with it. It wasn’t even helping me lose weight and thats why I got it prescribed.

1 Like

I’m going to call and try to get a blood test scheduled.

3 Likes

Are you taking it for diabetes or for weight loss?

1 Like

Diabetes.

I just scheduled an appt with my doctor to get it checked out but it’s not until oct 18th

1 Like

Something is up with my chest though, especially the left side…it is the reason I had my heart checked out a few months ago…because I was having weird sensations in my chest. I don’t know for sure what the issue is but I need to get it figured out.

1 Like

Maybe its time to stop smoking or maybe switch to vaping. But in my case the chest and abdominal pain stopped after stopping the metformin. Maybe your Dr can replace it with another diabetes med. Anyways, good luck!

1 Like

Thanks Aziz. I’m hoping that she will be able to figure it out. I may need some scans or something to figure it out.

1 Like

I hope that your medical issues get resolved fast @Bowens.

Yeah follow up with your doctors ASAP

1 Like

Thanks @Wave . I had a chest xray when I had my heart checked out so whatever it is now wasn’t detected on that. I don’t know what the issue is.

1 Like

Could be a gastro issue and not a cardiac issue.

I take high doses of Metformin and also worry about potential side effects from it.

1 Like

Yeah, I no longer believe it is cardiac related. I had that checked out. It’s something else. I hope it isn’t lung cancer.

1 Like

God forbid 15151515

1 Like

I don’t think it is though…it feels like it’s in the muscle itself.

1 Like

Could be a minor issue with your diaphragm

1 Like

I know it’s not easy but try not to worry too much about it.
Wait for the test results

1 Like

Good advice, I’ve got to wait almost 3 weeks to get in so no point in worrying about it.

1 Like

Good luck with everything @Bowens
Hopefully its nothing serious.

1 Like