L-methylfolate Shows Promise Against Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia

http://www.schizophreniaforum.org/news/l-methylfolate-shows-promise-against-negative-symptoms-schizophrenia

Supplementation with l-methylfolate (l-MF), the active form of folate, may help reduce negative symptoms in schizophrenia, according to a new randomized, double-blind trial published online March 14 in Molecular Psychiatry. The study was spearheaded by Donald Goff, now at the New York University School of Medicine and Nathan Kline Institute, and led by Joshua Roffman of Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston.

3 Likes

If this is the same as folic acid, i’d like to remind people that the safe rda for folic acid is only 400mcg a day. Anything above that is pretty risky.

It isn’t exactly the same, folate is the natural form of the vitamin. Some people have a genetic mutation that makes it difficult for them to use the folic acid form of the vitamin.

ETA the amount used in this study is a HUGE dose and you would certainly want to talk to your doctor about it. Blood tests for folate levels are also available if you think your level is insufficient.

1 Like

Ask your Drs for a prescription for Deplin. It comes in 7.5 and 15 mg pills. It’s pharma grade methylfolate.
I used to take it every day. Would like to get back in it again.

1 Like

I was prescribed Deplin but decided not to take it because high dose Folate use can trigger Manic episodes if you suffer from a bipolar disorder.

I asked my pdoc for this and he is nice so he said yes. It is 100 bucks a month and isn’t covered by insurance bacause it is a “medical food”. So I have the bottle of 7.5mg tablets, I think I will use it in May and see if my negative sx, particulary alogia get better.

Call the company,you can get a discount directly from them. It’s a substantial discount. And then you can take it for at least 6 months which it takes before you notice a difference

1 Like

tried this, it didnt do much for me

That’s great, another tool in the box versus negative symptoms.