Schizophrenia.com

L-glutamine ! 💊

Has anyone else tried L-glutamine? It’s very relaxing.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-l-glutamine-500-mg-120-veg-capsules/622

I took 500mg (apparently the max safe dose is about 30 GRAMS a day), so little chance of over dosing :joy:

It’s quick acting. It took 15 minutes to stop me feeling distressed. It seems to last for a few hours.

I’m going to try 1 gram tomorrow.

It looks like a no-go if you have a mood disorder though. This is from webmd :

Bipolar disorder: Glutamine might increase the risk for mania or hypomania in people with this condition.

• Medications used to prevent seizures (Anticonvulsants) interacts with GLUTAMINE

Medications used to prevent seizures affect chemicals in the brain. Glutamine may also affect chemicals in the brain. By affecting chemicals in the brain, glutamine may decrease the effectiveness of medications used to prevent seizures.

Some medications used to prevent seizures include phenobarbital, primidone (Mysoline), valproic acid (Depakene), gabapentin (Neurontin), carbamazepine (Tegretol), phenytoin (Dilantin), and others.

3 Likes

I took 1 gram today on waking and it just made me incredibly depressed. I’ll see how I get on with just 500mg.

i think i had a building muscle book about 10 years ago that recommended supplementing with glutamine and i did for a time. i have schizoaffective bipolar now though so wouldn’t try it, if it might make me manic.

1 Like

So I took it with L-theanine & broccoli sprout extract this morning and had suicidal ideation :neutral_face:

I took it on it’s own 6 hours later and it relaxed me.

I suspect taking it with L-theanine is an issue.

Be careful @everhopeful

1 Like

Yes I will. Thanks @Green .

It was a bit of a scary experience.

Yeah. L-glutamine definitely isn’t working out.

It initially relaxes me, but then there’s rebound anxiety which seems to last into the next day.

I’ve never felt more anxious than I do today.

Thumbs down :-1:

I’ve been getting good results drinking a saucepan full of green tea every morning. It doesn’t last long, but I get a good feeling from it.

1 Like