Ketamine Treatment

I was just in ER for SzA issues. The ER pdoc mentioned that we’ll talk about ketamine IV treatment at my next regular pdoc appointment next week. Has anyone tried ketamine or know anything about it?

If I remember correctly, it can cause side effects like psychosis and it’s used in depression treatment.
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/major-depressive-disorder/novel-route-ketamine-treatment-mdd
This is a good website for these type of things.

1 Like

It’s a horse tranquilizer; my ex received it once for a severe migraine, threw her for a loop.

1 Like

I thought it was for animals never heard of it as a treatment for patients, have heard of it being abused by people though.

1 Like

Keep us posted. I’d be a bit surprised to see it used in sz, because it’s a psychomimetic.

1 Like

I’ll share what the new pdoc says on Dec 28. Thanks for your interest.

1 Like

Boy do I know about ketamine, at high doses it can induce psychotic episodes. I’d usually go psychotic late into a day of bashing it but it is fantastically destructive at the same time. My protracted abuse of it is probably one of the main reasons I’m so messed up (negs rule me). I’m not sure what that indicates for SZers in a clinical setting. Given that you’ll be taking much smaller dosages I can’t say for sure. It really does work for depression but it’s also disabling cognitively (dose-dependent of course). It simulates schizophrenia in healthy people and can make the symptoms worse in existing schizo disorders (case in point). Despite this, I find it highly addicting as there is pleasure, woah-factor and contentment to be found in it. It might also be perfectly fine at therapeutic dosages for schizophrenics and not be a destabilising factor. My particular brand of use doesn’t do me any favours though…

2 Likes

Here are some search results on the forum for threads on Ketamine

https://forum.schizophrenia.com/search?q=Ketamine

1 Like

I thought ketamine effed you up bad like in a good wow feeling way. Never had it but I would be a fan of it if the doc put me in it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.