Keep forgetting to take my meds

This has been going on for a couple weeks, so I finally filled my weekly pillbox, for the first time in months, hopefully it helps. Sometimes, like today, it’s thoughts of suicide that get me thinking “hey, I didn’t take my meds today.” Quite frequently lately I have been forgetting to take them. I can’t forget my Abilify, at least, that’s in depot form. My schedule is all screwy, waking up so early that sometimes I don’t even think to eat breakfast, and it’s after breakfast that I take my pills. No breakfast means I forget my meds.

As I was driving home from work today I started thinking if this new job doesn’t work out I’ll probably just hang myself and be done. That’s not a normal way of approaching such a problem, a tip off that something is wrong. That’s what made me think of whether or not I took my meds early this morning, and I did not. I took my Haldol and Lamictal just now, but I cannot take my Wellbutrin if I want to be able to fall asleep in a couple hours, so that one will just have to wait until morning. Oh well.

Do you have a tell when it comes to this, something that makes you realize you forgot to take your meds?

1 Like

you cannot just hang yourself dude…!! please seek help from your pdoc !! stop forgetting to take your meds…it will get better I promise !!

2 Likes

Oh, I have no immediate plans to take myself out, but I decided years ago if I do it, it will be by hanging, very effective method. No OD attempts for me. I’m just saying that could happen months from now if things don’t work out and my life ends up in shambles yet again. I have come so far since my last break in 2008, it has taken me this long to recover to the point I’m at now, that I don’t think I could stand to start over again.

Yeah, I forgot my evening olanzapine last night, again. Actually, I slept through it. But, usually, at most I only miss once or twice a week.

1 Like

@freakonaleash suicide is bad…and suicide is a mistake…all it does is rip apart families and friends. please don’t just take it so lightly that you think that is “plan b”. wipe it out of your mind…you will be fine…don’t worry about starting over…stay on your meds and your life will eventually get better !!

1 Like

I didn’t take my meds this morning because I had to wait to get them picked up. I usually feel scared/unsafe and have little to medium insight into my state of mind. It can spiral quickly. Anyhow, I find the pillbox really helpful.

1 Like

Yeah, I just set a reminder alarm on my phone, something I’ve done in the past. I set it for roughly one hour after I wake up, the time at which I typically get in the shower and start getting ready for my day.

1 Like

The last time I had to get refills from my pdoc, I ended up running out of meds. I usually call them in the week before I run out. Must be getting busier.

I usually do the same thing but usually a few days in advance. I forgot because of the holiday and they are closed on Sundays.

Maybe if you change it to being something like as soon as you wake up. Then maybe you need to eat breakfast to not get a stomach ache.

With geodon I start feeling very jittery and “wired” as someone else put it. It’s usually very obvious I missed a dose or am late on a dose with it. I’ve never forgotten to take Wellbutrin so idk about that.

“if this new job doesn’t work out I’ll probably just hang myself and be done.”

Never mind about missing a dose of your medication, sounds to me like you should book an appointment with your Doctor ASAP.

2 Likes

Hell, I’m 56 and two years ago, I lost my mom, I got bad back problems, I had to take two months off of work, I got kicked out my housing, I had to quit school, I couldn’t drive, and then I was hospitalized for two days after staying out for 27 years. I also started suffering from fatigue. This all happened in the space of two weeks.

And after living independently in mainstream society for 20 years I am now in mental health housing again… BUT…I’ve been back at my job for more than a year and a half, I’ve been taking classes again, I have a nice car, I’m getting an apartment at the end of August. I have one or two friends kind of and I am on friendly terms with a lot of people. You can’t give up, you keep going. I’m an old man with little energy but I persevered by getting help and forcing myself to go on. Shambles is a normal state for my life but I still go places and have fun. Look at the stuff I’ve done at my age.

I’m not magic, I face much of the same stuff you and other people on here face. I’m not immune to life’s challenges. I get disrespected, intimidated, cheated, fooled, taken advantage of (and all that happened just two minutes ago, lol. I’m just kidding) But yeah, I am just a human who goes on. I’m not criticizing you or telling you how to feel, I’m just saying us people with few natural gifts can still win. I can, you can. I hope you feel better and I hope things work out for you. @freakonaleash. And me.

2 Likes

Try to keep yourself in some structure. ie…take your meds same time everyday. Eat at around the same time everyday. Try to sleep or go to sleep at the same time etc etc. I think being organised is a real help in dealing with things especially when it comes to dosing your meds. It works for me!

2 Likes

I don’t tell my dr about such things. If I used that kind of talk with her she’d probably put me in the hospital, and that’s not going to happen. I would just say I’m not doing well, that I’m feeling depressed, etc. It’s hard to be honest with a dr about suicidal thoughts, awfully risky in terms of getting put in a hospital against my will. Besides, I’ve been hospitalized enough times to know how to play the game to get out in a few days, whether I’m feeling better or not. I just need to work on taking my meds every day.

1 Like