Just got my phone bill

My daughter forgot to turn her phone on wifi and way over on data. Extra $195 on my bill. She is going to pay half of the overage but I sure didn’t this right now. I called the phone company and since I’ve been with them for many years they knocked off $50.

5 Likes

Outch. :persevere:

Isn’t there an option in settings on the iphone to go to wifi automatically ?

My android goes to wifi automatically when it’s in range.

3 Likes

Yeah it is supposed to but I’m not sure what happened

1 Like

My daughter had a boyfriend in the U.S. that she was trying to hide from me about three years ago. The $500 bill for the International SMS messages kind of gave it away. She lost her phone for a month over that.

4 Likes

I have an app on my phone that tells me who overuses. She’s an adult so taking her phone away doesn’t work. She knows she’ll need to pay the extra

I hear that. Squirrelette turned 18 last August, but she’s still on our phone package while she’s at college. Thankfully she’s learned how to use all of the free options since that blow-up.

2 Likes

Mine goes to wifi as soon as I’m near

1 Like

Ours do to unless you turn it off. I’m not sure what happened

1 Like

I have an Android, when I had to do the update earlier this month it turned off my wifi with the update. I noticed right away, cause I’m only on data outside the house picking kids up from school and Friday grocery shopping. So that may have happened. But I’m anal about data cause John needs it at work, we only get 15GB between us 2, only gone over once and that was a 15 buck charge for .002GB overage, was ticked but not nearly as bad.

iPhone though, no idea. Never had one.

1 Like

We have 43 gigs for the 5 of us. My youngest daughter and I use 1 gig a month between the two of us. The other three use up about 10 gigs each. So we always have tons left over.

When I worked at AT&T in the call center I saw people who traveled overseas and use data end up with $10k to $30k in overages. No joke. And we couldn’t do anything about it. Something that helps is to call your cell company twice a month and ask about your usage. Cuz if you are over you can sometimes upgrade to a better plan and sweet talk the rep into back date the new feature to save you money.

Sorry this happened. I know this wasn’t a good time considering your previous thread about groceries. Best wishes.

:innocent:

2 Likes

Damn, here in Germany we have data caps. We can’t go over that unless we book another pack but it renews every month

1 Like

I have an app to check. I was just not in the best place this last month and I didn’t check. That won’t happen again.

2 Likes

Ours is set to turn off data automatically when it hits the limit. Each phone gets a certain amount of data, then that’s it for the month.

2 Likes

I am very thankful for unlimited. My husband uses SO much data! He is the one that would cost us a fortune. My college-aged daughter is still on our plan, and she uses the next highest data amount. I would die if she cost us that much.

I’m glad she is going to pay you back. Talk about a shocking bill!

2 Likes

Yikes ! That is a lot I’m sorry but I hope you guys manage to pay it off soon.

I am on unlimited myself but I’ve been charged fir sending texts out (pic texts ) but I know now to avoid those :flushed:

1 Like

I can imagine how irrate they’d be over a 30k cell phone bill.

2 Likes

That sucks! I now have an unlimited data plan. But the carrier I use isn’t great. Lots of dropped calls and bad connections.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.