Just because something is in my head

Does that make it less real? Like what is reality anyway? I keep coming across the multiple realities explanation for psychosis, and i can definitely agree it feels that way for me. That psychotic people are simply living in multiple realities at once. Hence why lots of us double bookkeep and why we experience things others do not. Were tapping into another reality. Now how to keep more rational during… that i wish to find an answer to.

1 Like

I’m not sure of a complete answer to this. But I can tell you, as someone who no longer suffers psychosis, that the experiences I had while in psychosis, were not real. I do not view them as multiple realities that I experienced. I view them as a complete break from reality where I believed things that were in no way real, in this reality or others.

Reality feels infinite to me. Endless possibilities but limited perception on our end, especially as we age. Think of kids imaginations and that some people believe kids can see ghosts easier (i know when i was 3 i told my mom about all the ghosts i saw)

1 Like

Then again, i took psychdelics and studied philosophy and religious studies in college, so maybe my brain is just fried

1 Like

I think it’s good for someone with a psychotic disorder to occasionally step back and question their thoughts like this. When I tried to reduce meds, I did it often to try to see if I was slipping. I still do it on occasion on my reduced dose to make sure that I am not developing symptoms. I believe this is a good thing.

1 Like

Lately ive been rapidly switching between absolute conviction to questioning, about delusions and if i want to die or not, its disorientating and frustrating, but i think its a sign my meds are somewhat workinf

1 Like

Is there a capgras version of the self? I dont feel like myself anymore, i barely recognize myself in the mirror sometimes, and reflecting inward my insides feel different, like im not the same person or constituted in the same way fundamentally anymore, and that my dreams arethe true reality

Well, if you ever feel like wanting to die, you are free to pm me to cheer you up. These are usually hidden on the forum, but I am happy to talk to you privately when you need it.

1 Like

No, you are still you. This is just one of the symptoms of the disorder that some people get. I’m sorry that you have to deal with that.

1 Like

Thank you, i appreciate that, youre a good guy. I have been a little lost with my suicidal thoughts because i know i cant post about it and i dont want to tlalk to my friends or family and have me committed. Ive contacted crisis and they werent super helpful.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a shame that we can’t talk about such things publicly, but on a group support forum it can trigger and upset others.

1 Like

Trying to justify that delusions are real is one of the biggest factors that are holding people back from recovering. Instead of giving in to those thoughts you need to fight them and question them with logic and reason. You shouldn’t be the advocate for your delusions, but the advocate for sanity.

1 Like

I agree but i dont know fully what is a delusion and what isnt anymore

1 Like

You have to think back to the simplicity of things before you got ill, when things were straight forward. Try connecting with things that you like and give that meaning. That’s a good place to start.

If you are unable to quiet down your mind you may consider other meds. Also some supplements like vitamin D(I take 5000IU daily), NAC(6-1200mg daily), and Niacin(max 500mg daily) can be worth trying to calm down the mind. They help me alot.

1 Like

Yeah i miss when getting an A in a class was my biggest worry thats for sure

1 Like

I think psychotic people are tapping into unreality.

I dont know anymore

What is real madness? The Quantum World

There is a problem with the wave function collapse - no one is quite sure what the fxxk happens. Even Schrodinger supposedly thought up his crazy cat thought experiment to illustrate the ridiculousness of the whole math thing at the macro level. Apparently the most popular idea – among the math geniuses anyway – is The Many Worlds Theory.

If nuclear Armageddon just isn’t up your alley you can be another version of yourself in another existence. Yes, there are an infinite number of yous all out there somewhere acting out (sometimes slightly infinitesimal) different lives. The idea that infinity can have an infinite number of infinities within it – one of which is myself – just doesn’t do my ego any good. I want to be the only version of me. It’s not a math thing – equations and stuff like that are beyond me to a certain point, but I comprehend the concepts – it’s a psyche and hopefully intuition thing. Don’t get me wrong, I love cosmology and all its quirky idiosyncrasies – here is a recent fave –

‘‘Spacetime is not fundamental, it’s just a user interface. The distinction we make between living and non-living is not a fundamental distinction.
It’s an artifact of the limits of our interface.’’ – Donald Hoffman.

This leads me to the topic of Panpsychism - not that Mr Hoffman would agree with me I’m sure. I just like the idea because I am mad. Technically insane anyway. I can cope with life – hold down a job, have meaningful relationships, create art etc.
Even being schizophrenic I just want one me.

I just like the idea of consciousness being fundamental and matter being emergent.

But therein lies the problem. The paradox. The individual and the whole. Who are we? And what are we doing to each other and the planet?

1 Like

Fascinating. I am a believer in the Big Bang and evolution while still being spiritual. I have heard the multiple selves theory a few times. It is quite interesting. My only hold back is that people react to each others genetics; meaning appearance and personality and that is consistent throughout humanity. So, my confusion is in the concept that the same people, with the same genetics inside and out would somehow be treated differently in some other reality by the people around them. How people choose to treat you dramatically impacts involuntary choices. It doesn’t seem plausible to me.
They have done studies with twins and triplets adopted out to different families with very different social situations. Those twins or triplets, when found years later, often have a whole lot in common to include money, life choices etc. Me wonders if that is because they genetically make the same decisions? or…if they are consistently treated the same by the people around them and this impacts their choices for survival and happiness? I suspect it is both. I know adopted families isn’t ‘different realities’ but it is a study that shows there is consistency. I think it is nature and nurture combined.

1 Like

Brahman - The Philosophy of Life - Chapter 8 is a good study on non dualism and consciousness…